Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I do not get a dial tone when I press talk; I get a buzzing

Customer Question

I do not get a dial tone when I press talk; I get a buzzing sound. the phone tells me that it is fully charged and that the 'Line is in use'!
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them? 2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?4) Do you have dsl service on the same line? 5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the phone has 3 handsets and yes it is the same for all three.
No other phones or fax machines; this is a landline from a local provider (Consolidated Communications)
I have direct TV which I don't believe is dsl.
Model KX-TG65921
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines. To really isolate this properly, it would be necessary to test another phone/device on the line. Initially, the one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from all handsets3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge5) check for functionality. Let me know the results.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Do you need more help with this?If so, simply reply back on this page.Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.Nathan