Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

We have a vtech 15550 hands free phone. It has not been working

Customer Question

We have a vtech 15550 hands free phone. It has not been working for a couple of weeks. I have taken the handset and battery to Jaycar and they say the battery is charged but doesn't seem to be talking to the receiver. What do I do?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am sorry to hear you are having this problem. What exactly is the phone doing when you try to use it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I need more than that please. Is it not turning on? Does it turn on but have no dial tone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The phone shows the sign saying "out of range" Thought it was a battery problem but battery is charged but not powering phone.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have more than one headset or only this one? If you have more than one do the others say the same thing? Out of range means it can not communicate with the base the battery would not affect that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We only have the 1 handset.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the battery from the phone and unplug the base. Then leave it unplugged for 10 minutes. Plug the base back in and then put the battery back in the handset. Put the handset on the base and wait 5 minutes. Test the handset after right next to the base and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i now get the response Power Up B5
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That error means the base is not plugged in please make sure both ends of the power cable to the base are plugged in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are both plugged in. I am going to bed now as it is late. Can I resume in the morning?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I am in the EST time zone you can take all the time you need to reply to me. I will reply as soon as I can if I am offline. This question does not expire or anything like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will reply through this channel in the morning unless there is a quick response. Everything seems to be plugged in but getting that warning.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You may want to disconnect and reconnect all cables on both ends to the base. Take all the time you need to reply to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have disconnected all cables, left them for about 1/2 an hour and have now reinstated them but the message is still Power Up B5. What do we do next. I am leaving for Melbourne at Lunch time and would love to have this sorted out before I go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will follow up on Sunday, on my return from Melbourne.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That message means the base is not getting power. I would try it in a different power outlet or if you have another using a different power cable. How old is it? Do you still have a warranty on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried a different power outlet. We only have the one phone socket and there is no change.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Different expert here. I see that you mentioned something earlier about the system not working "in less than 12 months". So can I safely assume that the system is not a year old yet? If so, you MAY be able to get the system repaired or replaced at little or no cost to you, by contacting the Vtech TecHelp folks at the following number or email address:1 300 369 193 or via email***@******.***. NOTE: They may ask what troubleshooting steps have already taken place and have you do more steps, so be ready for that. Please let me know your results or if you have any more questions about this system. Cheers & Good Luck, Greg A.(im)