Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

One of my handsets does not have a dial tone and I can't hear

Customer Question
if someone is talking at...
one of my handsets does not have a dial tone and I can't hear if someone is talking at the other end. I can dial a call and receive a call but no sound. This started when I inadvertently pressed a button on the receiver while talking.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Phone System Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Phone System Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: the base unit says line in use.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Phone System Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Phone Systems
4/4/2016
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Technician
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them? 2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?4) Do you have dsl service on the same line? 5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. It's a Panasonic KXTG7641. Receivers. I was on the main receiver(using a headset) I inadvertently pressed a button (don't know which one on the reliever) and then I could not hear any more. I can dial out and the phone will ring but I don't hear anything. That's the only receiver that does not have a dial tone.
Thank you for confirming.If you press the speakerphone button on it, can you hear any better then?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Can you tell me exactly what you see (all words, icons, etc) on the display of the handset in question?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
top left i see the icon indicating that I'm near the base unit, next to it is ECO,on right top the number 1(1st handset)beneath it has the time, date, bottom left is an open book, middle says menu on right bottom says cell
Okay thank you for confirming.This tells us that there are no settings enacted that would cause this.You did not cause anything and no button you pressed would have resulted in this situation. This is more likely a hardware issue and was simply coincidental. Lets try a reset process next:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from handset3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) place handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge5) check for functionality. Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried and the phone is still not working. I can still use the other hand sets but I don't get a dial tone from the main handset
Thank you for confirming.This tends to indicate that the handset itself is defective, which does happen sometimes, both from normal wear and tear, from being dropped, etc. The last thing we can try is to deregister the handset and then re-register it back to the base station.On the handset, key in Menu#131scroll up/down to select handset 1Selectup/down to YESSelectOff Then re-register:Menu #130 on handsetpress and hold the Locator button on the main base for 5 secondspress OK on the handset, which should give a long beep to confirm success
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it did not work.
Thank you for trying. Unfortunately, that leaves only the possibility of a hardware problem, meaning that the handset itself has failed, due to an internal defect.Again this is not something you caused, and could not happen from just pressing a button, it is a deeper issue than that.These systems are generally expected to have about a 5 year service life, which this model is at/past at this point, so it isn't too surprising to see just from normal wear and tear.While the handsets cannot be repaired, they can be replaced: http://amzn.to/1N5drVGBecause of the age, and demand as they fail, a new handset can be rather costly. You could consider a used one for about half that, but in the long run it may make more sense to start over with a new system. You can get a new bundle with a base and multiple handsets for not much more than just a single replacement handset: http://amzn.to/1qkOn8zEven if you didn't get a full size system, but rather one with just 2 or 3 handsets, you could run both systems simultaneously, as both would work for calls, you just couldn't intercom between the 2 systems which would be the only limitation. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks
You're very welcome. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan. Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan--Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Do you need more help with this?
Nathan, Technician