Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

My Phones are all saying Line in Use and all phones are OFF

Customer Question

Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the main base unit.

2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Panasonic Model KX-TEGA20 and Centurylink is provider It says Line in Use and underneath says charging.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
internet is attached to this phone and it is working.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Can you find the MAIN BASE UNIT of your system (the LARGER base) and see if you can find a model number there - that does NOT have an "A" in it (those are for the handsets and chargers)?

Also, do you have any other "phone-like" devices attached to the phone line (other phones, fax, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KXTGE245B, Just the internet modem is hooked to main base
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - does that "internet modem" have a bunch of lights on the front of it (one of which is labeled "phone"), and a few cables at the back?

And if so, are those lights flashing at all?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only extensions no other devices hooked to main base
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

I understand - the Main Base is connected to the modem.

What about the modem? Does it have some lights on the front?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all lights that should be on are on
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - does one or more of the lights have a label next to it?

And if so, are one of those labels "Phone" - or something similar?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking it might be the line perhaps as we have a corded Telephone and have tried plugging it in to wall units that don't have phones and it isn't working On Modem? Lights are Power, DSL, Internet and Wireless and ethernet which is not plugged in and nothing with PHONE on it (modem), On back of modem has DSL with a green plug in and Phone with the Panasonic Plugged in...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Green Line is what is plugged into the wall phone jack and the phone Panasonic line is plugged into back of modem
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Is this "corded telephone" one that you just have around - as a spare - or is it normally connected to a different phone jack in your home.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its just a spare in case power outages
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we keep in a drawer for emergencies
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

So it is NOT normally connected - is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO never connected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or YES it is NEVER connected
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - very good.

I think you took the right steps in TESTING the line with that other phone, and may be right about it being "the line" (or service) from CenturyLink.

Now MOST CenturyLink phone services use that modem to "create an endpoint" for the phone service - in your home.

You can try power-cycling that modem to reset it.

To do that, remove the power cord to that modem - and leave it disconnected for TWO MINUTES - and then reconnect the power.

Would you like to try that?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we will try that
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Very good. Wait for the system to initialize (about 1 minute) after reconnecting power, and let me know your results - when connecting either the corded phone (do you get dial tone).

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unplugged modem for 2 minutes and it came back on and all is fine with modem but phone still says Line in Use Charging
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Did you TEST the CORDED phone - to see if it gets a dial tone now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still says line in USE and the corded phone does not work and we just called neighbor to see if his phone works and it does and he had me go around to each phone and make sure it was in cradle and hit off button whch I have done a dozen times before I contacted you...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTY Called on my cell to neighbor
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

OK - let's move on to a DIFFERENT TEST.

Please call your centurylink phone number - from your cell phone - and let me know EXACTLY what you hear - in the calling phone.

For example, does the call get switched IMMEDIATELY to voicemail, does it appear to ring a few times, etc.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that and it is a busy signal
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Ah Ha - that is a clue.

Now please DISCONNECT (and leave disconnected) any and all PHONE-LIKE devices from ANY phone jacks in your location.

Then WAIT about 2 minutes, and place that TEST CALL (from your cell phone) again.

NOTE: Do NOT reconnect ANY phones yet.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the base Phone?, just unplug the DSL Green Internet and the phone line? we have a double phone jack?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Yes - disconnect ALL phone-like devices from ALL phone jacks at your location.

Internet connection staying connected should be OK.

What we are doing here is TESTING - to see if ANY device attached to the phone service - is causing the "busy" or line in use (they are the same thing).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry I'm wrong we have a Phone jack with Green line and cable so Unplug green from wall jack and that is all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was waiting for internet and disconnected all and called from cell with line disonnected and it was still busy
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Only the PHONE SERVICE connections are trying to be disconnected - and THEN the TEST CALL from the cell.

Did you WAIT about a minute or two - AFTER disconnecting?

AND - are ALL PHONE DEVICES disconnected still?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To talk to you I have to plug back in as the plug into jack is the century link line with the panasonic line plugged in the back of modem...I waited 2 minutes and called while phone was disconnected. and still got busy signal I have to connect to talk to you on computer.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - if that is the same connection scheme as the last time the system worked (a couple of hours ago), then that tells us that the "phone" portion of the services (from CenturyLink) have failed.

What I would recommend at this point it contacting the "technical support" folks at the provider - to report this issue. I have their main number listed below.

CenturyLink

Main Number: 1-***-***-****

They may also have a "chat" available, at the following link.

http://www.centurylink.com/help/chat/

Please give one of these contact points a try, and let me know your results. And please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
jThnk You so much, I will call century link.... You were great, have a great weekend and I will let you know what I find out.
Best,
D
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Century Link checked line and is sending a repairman in the morning..... So it was the line Thank You so much for your time.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

That's good to hear that they will respond so quickly.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

And when you can, please take a moment to rate my service.

Thanks so much, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)