Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I have a panasonic kk-tgea20 phone system that I have had a…

Customer Question
I have a panasonic...

I have a panasonic kk-tgea20 phone system that I have had for about a month. Just today, it started showing a message that says check the phone line, nothing else. Nothing has been done to the phones, and the phone line seems fine

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

No incoming our outgoing calls. no dial tone. I just found out there was a problem when called on my cell phone that's all I know the phone displays a message that says to check the phone line

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
3/1/2016
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The Model Number of the phone system you are working with? That model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the main base unit and START with KX-TG (but have no "A").
2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system?
3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
4) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

5) If you called from your cell phone (to your Panasonic), what did you hear (in the cell phone) when you placed that call?

Thanks

Kk-thea20
5 cordless but one is not part of the system and is not working either.
ATT is our provider
When calling the number from my cell it just beeps 3 times then nothing
It worked this morning just fine

Hi again,

NOTE: A model of KX-TGEA20 if for a handset (& remote charger).

If you can find the MAIN BASE UNIT - which is plugged into a phone cord AND power adapter, that should have the model number printed on the bottom (or back) - on a sticker or label.

Also, is the AT&T service "digital-base" (like U-verse), or the older "analog-based" (direct wires to your home)?

One other thing: Has there been ANY "weather" or "power" events in your area or home - about the same time this began?

Thanks

Hi again,

I see your phone call request, but don't have a phone line available right this minute to be able to do a call (not sure when a line will become available).

While waiting, can you respond to the last questions?

Thanks

KK-TGE260

OK - very good - I see KX-TGE260 as a "good" model number.

What about:

- U-verse based system OR older (wired) service (from AT&T?

- Any WEATHER or POWER events?

No weather or power events. to my knowledge I have the older wired service for att is there a way I can check that to see if that's true? We only have our phone through ATT. No internet through them...

Hi again,

Wired is probably IF you do NOT have U-verse for your TV or internet service.

So may I ask HOW and WHAT PROVIDER delivers your internet or TV service (assuming you have those).

Also, I will want you to do a TEST for me - which is to disconnect the MAIN BASE UNIT from the phone jack in the wall, and then while disconnected AND waiting about 5 minutes, please a NEW TEST CALL to your AT&T number from your cell phone - and see if you hear any "normal ringing" IN THE CALLING PHONE.

Thanks

WAVE (formally ASTOUND) is out internet provider. going to disconnect right now... stand by

Waiting for your results ... Standing by...

now the one phone that's on the power base says supply power to base. Please stand by and don't remember. all of the other phones show that other message about checking the phone lines.

If you have disconnect the power AND the phone cord, that message is "normal".

Were you able to make the TEST CALL - WHILE the base was disconnected?

no,I didnt do that. Let me try again.

standing by ...

I got the same thing... a couple of quick beeps then nothing...no dialtone or right to voicemail
I plugged back in the power for the base and the phone jack after I did that, was that okay?

OK - you are calling your AT&T number - from your cell phone CORRECT?

And you can leave the phone cord disconnected for now - until we complete our TESTING.

As a matter of fact, I don't think I saw a response to the question:

Do you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

the main phone jack is disconnected, so I expected it to go to voicemail or something. I called the number with my cell, and it just beeps twice in my ear and then nothing... I don't have anything else plugged into a phone jack..
it's like those 3 beeps you get when something is busy, and them just stops
I said 2 beeps before, and it's actually 3
any other tips?

OK - if EVERYTHING is disconnect from ALL phone jacks in your home - even in living spaces that are not used much (basement, spare/guest room, etc.), then what SHOULD happen when ANYONE tries to call your AT&T number is:

- Endless ringing (if you do NOT have voicemail on this line) OR

- Certain number of rings, then switch to voicemail (if you have that service).

So IF ALL these conditions are met (nothing connected in any room of your home & getting "beeps"), then this is a definite "phone service" issue.

This could be with the LOCAL phone lines & service, OR the wiring INSIDE your home (not too likely - unless getting into walls has happened).

So at this point, I would recommend contacting AT&T Technical Support - via your cell phone. I have their MAIN contact number below, but you will have to go through a "menu" - to reach a human and report this issue.

AT&T Customer Support : 1(###) ###-####/p>

By the way, the Technical Support folks SHOULD be there 24 hours a day - every day - and they MAY be able to further troubleshoot and TEST your line - while on the call.

Please let me know what is found or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

NOTE: I just had a phone line become available, and I can call you to REVIEW our conversation here and recommendations.

So let me know if you would like me to place that call (or NOT).

Thanks

thanks ! I will call them!

You are quite welcome.

Please let me know what is found - when you can.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer