Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Two days ago I set up the panasonic KXTGF-374 and all was…

Customer Question
Two days ago I set...
Two days ago I set up the panasonic KXTGF-374 and all was working. Today no one can call me and I get a busy signal when I try to call someone. There is a dial tone.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
2/12/2016
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Technician

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Arlene.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?

1) yes
2)yes, not working
3)uverse
4)what is dsl? sorry, not hi tech knowledgeable.
are you there?

Thanks for confirming. It takes a few minutes for messages to go back and forth. Just a moment, please.

DSL is a phone line based internet. Uverse is typically a digital phone line connection, and since you have the problem with other phone too, this indicates it is a line fault, not anything with the panasonic system.

Initially, please try unplugging power to your uverse "gateway" box (modem) for 60+ seconds to reboot it, and let me know if that helps.

I"m afraid I'll disconnect the internet if I disconnect something. There are two boxes here, not sure which one.

You won't hurt anything long term. Even if you unplug both it will just reset, and come back on in a few minutes.

okay, did it and re connected.

Okay go ahead and test out the phones now.

still the same thing

Thanks for confirming.

This is then coming down to a line fault, which is a deeper issue on the ATT side of things - there is a problem with their routing/switching equipment.

The problem is not with your phones, and there is nothing more you can do to address the issue yourself.

You'll next need to call ATT, and they will do some remote diagnostics and resets from their end, and if that does not resolve it they will need to send a technician out to check the equipment at the junction box/curb/pole level.

well, thanks but I see I've already been charged the $29 and I can't say that I am satisfied with this answer for $29. I would rate you as honest and helpful but it did not solve my question.

The charges are per the agreed upon terms - you pay your deposit to post the question and are charged the balance upon corresponding with an expert.

Not all issues have an immediate fix.

In cases such as this, I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem and giving you the necessary information to resolve it. In this situation, we've done everything we can and determined that it is a line issue, which requires outside intervention.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.

As I recall, the come on was $5 and then if satisfied, the full $29. I am not satisfied and sorry for wasting your time but I will try to get my $24 back.

The $5 was the deposit to post your question. I'm sorry if that was unclear.

Ultimately, payment is up to your discretion and conscience. If you feel it is fair and reasonable to utilize my time and services at no cost, I can put in for a refund for you.

I was simply trying to help you, and diagnosing the problem is all that can be done here. If there was a problem with your own equipment, I would have resolved that for you. This diagnostic step is important because if you had called the phone company out and they found there was no problem on their end, but with your equipment, they'd be charging you a $100 diagnostic fee for the trip out. This process is saving you significantly over the alternative.

Yeah, believe me it was totally unclear. And personally I think YOU are not responsible, but Panasonic does a real bait and switch. Most companies will help customers within a time period for free. You are evidently an independent contractor and Panasonic is not taking responsibility for the call. This is not nice and now we will both suffer.

This is NOT panasonic.

This is justanswer.com, which is a paid support site, where you posted your question and solicited my services.

Pansaonic does not provide a live chat support service. They have a phone number to an overseas call center, but all they would have done is told you to call the phone company, potentially resulting in the same costs I was trying to save you from.

It should have been explained at several points that this was justanswer.com, when they asked for your payment, etc. I do apologize for any confusion, though I would still appreciate your consideration in honoring the agreement that you made, which should have been spelled out in the terms and conditions, just as I did in providing the service.

If you need more help with anything, now or after ATT comes out, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise if it is still your intent to ask for a refund, I must discontinue the conversation as I'm now 45 minutes into this and effectively forced to work for free at this point. This is how I make my living, so I must move on to other customers if you don't need anything else from me. If you wish to credit me for my time, a positive rating would be appreciated.

Best regards,