Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I have a V-Tech phone system with 3 lines set up with voice…

Customer Question
I have a V-Tech phone...
I have a V-Tech phone system with 3 lines set up with voice over IP, how can I install a P A system in my shop with it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
2/2/2016
Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. I am an Expert in the Phone Systems category. If you feel this is not the best category for your question, let me know and I will forward it to the appropriate group of Experts.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

What is the model number of the V-tech phone system?

In most cases, if you just need intercome capability to all phones, that is built in. But if you are looking for an overhead paging type of system, they tend to be harder to find. Logically, all you would need is an extension with a loudspeaker connected to it. But in practice, PA systems offer a throwback to 20 year old standards, or needlessly complex configurations. The challenge is that any phone system provider is going to look at you like you have three heads if you tell them you don't want to spend $10k on it. But there is no need for that. With VOIP, you can spend a few hundred and get what you need as long as you don't mind running an Ethernet cable (meaning if you have an existing analog system in your ceiling, you are probably best off not using it in this case)

Many—but not all—VoIP phone systems recognize VoIP paging solutions as regular endpoints, just as they would a VoIP phone. For smaller deployments, this feature is effective if you want to install a couple of speakers for simple paging

I apologize for the delay I was working yesterday where I did not have service. Our main phone is a vetch-CM18445, and the other phones here are vetch desksets model- CM18245. The intercom feature will not truly work from what I see, is I want the ability from the office area to over a loudspeaker tell the workers in the shop who has a call on whatever line rather than me walking out to the shop. The issue is I do not want to use the intercom because then all the workers will stop to see who the call is for rather than just announcing who has a call.

Thank you for the info. With this system, since it has some paging functionality built in that doesn't really do what you want, you'll have to be creative. The built in paging only allows paging groups to be assigned to v-tech wired telephones - it is very limited.

Have you considered, or would you consider, just having a standalone paging system? Meaning something very simple - using a microphone and a speaker? I know it sounds pretty low tech, but your current system just won't do it.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer