Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Irecently purchased an ATT phone with answering machine, and

Customer Question

Irecently purchased an ATT phone with answering machine, and I also set up a phone line with ATT. the phone works, but the answering machine cannot take message. I need help.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the full model number of your system, John?

Is the issue that it doesn't answer at all?
Or are your callers seeming to get a different greeting than the one you set up, or you don't get the messages they leave you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the answering machine is on, and it will make an announcement, such as please leave the message, however, when the caller speaks, the answering machine would make a monotonic noise, then shuts off automatically. I have 11 callers tried to leave message, but sofa, message number is *****
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I would suspect that your answering machine isn't actually the problem here, and is probably working just fine.

I'd like you to test something for me please: could you please unplug both the power cord and phone line going to your answering machine, and then call your home number from another phone (like your cell phone) and let me know if you still hear that "monotone message" you mentioned earlier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is one power line, but there is no direct phone line goes to the wall. It goes into a router-type thing that the ATT agent gave to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when phone power is unplugged, nothing works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I might take the router and phone to see the ATT agent. Thanks!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Please reply only once, and give me a moment to respond. Sending multiple replies pushes you down the queue and delays the process further.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I know the phone won't work, but I still want you to unplug power to it and then call yourself from an outside line or cell phone, and tell me what happens. Something will still happen - it will go to a message, ring endlessly, give a busy signal, etc.