Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a Uniden TRU9485. While replacing two handsets the

Customer Question

Customer: I have a Uniden TRU9485. While replacing two handsets the base is saying "Unavailable?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I De-registered the hand sets put them in the base and the base is saying Unavailable.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Phone Systems Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Can I pay via PayPal?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you may be having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system (including working and not working)?

2) What is the AGE of this system?

3) WHERE exactly are you seeing the "unavailable" message displayed

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 10 handsets in total. Just two have stopped working. I De-registered them both and when I out the back in the base unit the say Unavailable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They re over 8 years old & unavailable" message is displayed on the handset screen.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Sorry for any delay - we must be in different time zones.

OK - assuming that the replacement handsets are the same MODEL as the ones to be replaced, you should be able to "register" them to this MAIN base unit.

BUT, this also assumes that the MAIN BASE UNIT has "free/open slots" (in memory) to be able to recognize and register these new handsets. Since you mentioned that you "have 10 handsets in total", the 10 available slots may already be taken. If that is the case, you will need to "free up" two slots - so that these new handsets can be registered.

To free up those slots, the basic steps are as follows:
1) FIND the handset "numbers" that you want to free up (the number of the lost or bro***** *****dsets).
2) Use a WORKING handset to "de-register" the handset numbers of the OLD handsets - from the MAIN BASE UNIT.
3) Register the NEW handsets into those slots (one at a time).

I have attached an image of how you should be able to de-register a slot - using a "working handset".

I have also attached an image that shows how to register handsets to the base, of different types.

Now if you can not get that to work, there is another more drastic step that you can take - which is the RESET the MAIN BASE - back to factory settings - so that ALL MEMORY SLOTS in the main base unit are cleared, and then you can re-register ALL handsets back to the base.

To do that factory reset, do the following:
1) Disconnect the phone line AND power adapter from the MAIN BASE unit.
2) Press and HOLD the DND button, the * key, and the MIDDLE soft key (button below the display) WHILE reconnecting the power adapter.
NOTES:
- When you do this, a "confirmation tone" should be heard, and then the initialization screen should appear on the base.
- Register EACH of the handsets you want to use, one at a time.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what happens - whether you can get the handsets to register or not - or if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Here is the other attachment.

NOTE: you may have to click on the file names to SEE the images.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried this yesterday. to no avail. Now what? The other 8 handsets are still working.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

How are the current handsets that are registered in the base "numbered"?

That is, are they assigned numbers 1,2,3, etc., all the way up to number 8 - OR - is there a "skip", where number 9 & 10 are already assigned?

Also, can you open the battery cover on the NEW handsets, and double-check the MODEL of those handsets? I just want to make sure they are an EXACT match (or compatible) with the Main Base.

I have attached an image of a handset - from a similar system - to show where the model should be printed. Please take a look.

Let me know.