Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

We are getting only a busy signal when we press TALK and

Customer Question

We are getting only a busy signal when we press TALK and when we try to call the number of the phone we get a busy signal. So we cannot call out or call in. The display says "Line on Hold". We pressed the Talk/Flash to remove the hold and we are still getting a busy signal.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?
2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line (not part of the main system)?

4) WHEN did this issue first begin (or was noticed)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Presidian DECT 6.0 cordless phoneCharter cable serviceOne other phone on phone line
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem began today Oct. 7th
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - I suspect this may be a "service issue", but I would like you to TEST a couple of things first.

The first TEST is to disconnect ALL devices from ALL phone jacks in your location. Then WAIT about 5 minutes, and while everything is still disconnected, place a new TEST CALL to your Charter number - to see if you still hear the BUSY signal.

What we are testing is if any of the devices you have connected is "hanging" the line busy, so it is important to disconnect ALL devices - and leave them disconnected - during this test.

Please let me know what happens for this first test.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still getting busy signal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still getting busy signal after unplugging both phones from the phone line.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that.

Can you CONFIRM that you currently have EVERYTHING DISCONNECTED from the phone line, and a new TEST CALL (from an outside line) is STILL getting a busy signal?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both phones unplugged from phone jack and still getting busy signal when I call the Charter phone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I call the Charter phone from my cell phone.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - thanks for that confirmation.

What that does is confirm my suspicion that this is a "service issue" - with the provider - and the next step is to contact the provider's service desk and report this issue.

You will of course have to use an outside line to call this in, such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone. I have the contact information for Charter below.

Charter Customer Service: 1(###) ###-####/strong>

NOTE: You will most likely need to reconnect ONE device to that line and perform a test or two once you contact them. Please be ready for that case.

Please let me know what is found - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A recorded voice at Charter claims there is an outage in my area but I still have Charter cable TV and Charter Internet service so I wonder if it is possible for just the phone service to be out. What do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there, Greg A?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

It is DEFINITELY possible that only one of the 3 services is not working. That is actually quite a common happening with cable service providers.

If they have an announcement when you called, that probably means it is a WIDE SPREAD outage - covering your entire neighborhood, so if you want to check with a neighbor that also has Charter service, you could confirm that with them.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know anyone with Charter phone service. A recording said that I would be called on my cell when the outage was cleared up but I am not holding my breath.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since you did not call me can you please delete my private contact info I gave you?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I fully understand about "not holding your breath".

Depending on where you are and the "reliability" of the Charter service(s), you MAY want to consider finding another phone service provider.

I say this because I too had a "cable provider" for phone service a few years back, and their "customer service" was not at all good, so I switched back to a hard-wired provider, and have hand much better service from them.

And any contact information you may have sent with a call request will not be visible, since no one picked up the request (it gets deleted when no one picks up) - so you should be good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the credit card charge show up as a charge from Ask.com or my.justanswer.com
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

We experts are users - just like you - and do not have access to ANY of your private information - including any charges or deposits.

You may be able to find these details in your "My Account" tab - on your end of the system. Or a note to customer service here. There should be a screen to do that on your side of the system.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about your phone issue(s).

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)