Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

I have three Panasonic phones.Model number is KXTGEA20. We

Customer Question
I have three Panasonic phones.Model...
I have three Panasonic phones.Model number is ***** We have had them about a year and they worked great until the last 3 months. tHEY NOW ONLY RING ONCE. WHEN PEOPLE TRY TO LEAVE A MESSAGE OR IT IS SUPPOSE TO PICK UP THE NUMBER IT DOESN'T HAVE TIME TOO. I BOUGHT THESE PHONES OFF HSN. i WAS TOLD IF I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM TO TO TO THIS WEBSITE THAT THEY NO LONGER COVER THEM. I BOUGHT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY AND IT STILL DOES'T SEEM TO MATTER. I AM ON A FIXED INCOME AND CANNONT AFFORD TO REPLACE THESE AT PRESENT AND I NEED MY PHONES TO WORK. PLEASE HELP!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
9/21/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue with your system.

May I ask:

1) The model number of the MAIN BASE UNIT of the system? I only ask because the number you sent (KXTGEA20) is for the HANDSETS ONLY, which can be used for several different base units.

2) If you have a DIFFERENT phone (basic corded phone is best) - so we can TEST by disconnecting the Panasonic base unit from the service, and swapping in a different phone?

Thanks

.

The model is KX-TGE260

Hi again and thanks for that model.

OK - do you have a DIFFERENT phone that can be swapped in for the base unit - so that we can TEST to see if the Panasonic is the cause of the issue (or not)?

Even a borrowed phone would do for this TEST.

Thanks

No other that my cell phone I have no other phones.

Hi again,

OK - we can at least do some basic TESTS using your cell phone.

TEST 1 would be to call your landline number, and LISTEN in the cell to find out EXACTLY what happens.

TEST 2 would be to DISCONNECT the phone cord from the MAIN BASE UNIT of the Panasonic and REPEAT TEST 1 - to see if there is any difference in what you hear in the cell.

Can you do those TESTS and let me know what you hear - for EACH of them?

Thanks

Test 1 I called my landline from my cell number and it rings once and sort of a half ring. but no more.
Test 2 same thing.
I also tried taking out the batteries from all the phones and disconneting them for one our then reconnecting them and still same thing. I am wondering if I won't have to trash these phones as new as they are an buy new ones.

Hi again,

Was the MAIN BASE UNIT disconnected from the phone cord - when TEST 2 was done?

OK - that's interesting. If the main base was disconnected at the time of the TEST 2 call, then we KNOW that the Panasonic is NOT the cause - and there is something else going on.

So may I ask:

1) What phone service provider you have for this phone line?

2) And during the TEST CALLS, what did you hear - in the cell phone?

That is, did it sound like the system "hung up" on you, did you get a "busy" tone, or did something else happen?

Thanks

There is no phone cord other than whats in the wall my phones are cordless.
Frontier phone system. During the test calls it would ring the one and half times and then nothing.

Hi again,

The MAIN BASE UNIT SHOULD have a connection to the phone cord - and the wall.

That is what we want to disconnect during TEST 2.

Can you find that cord plugged into the KX-TGE260 BASE, and remove it - and then repeat the TEST?

Okay I did that same thing happened. My husband just called me and he says on his end when he calls it ring only once. If the light on the phone didn't keep flashing I couldn't ever get my calls. If use to ring fine I really don't understand what happened since they are not old phones.

Hi again,

May I ask if you have ANY OTHER devices attached to this phone line?

This could be other phones, fax machines, alarm systems, etc.).

AND when you place the TEST CALL with the MAIN BASE UNIT disconnected, do you hear ANY devices "ringing" - in your home?

Thanks

well all the phones ring the same when I do the test or not the one ring is all and thats it.

Hi again,

OK - IF the phones ARE ringing in your home - when the MAIN BASE UNIT is disconnected from the phone line (phone cord), then there MUST be another base unit connected somewhere.

So let me ask if you can disconnect ALL devices from ALL phone jacks in your home - LEAVE THEM disconnected - and then see if you can still hear any of the devices ringing IN YOUR HOME - when you place the test call.

Thanks

I disconnected all the bases from the plug in in the wall and when I call it still does the one ring.

Hi again,

And can you hear ANY ringing - from the phones IN THE HOME - with everything disconnected?

the one ring no more
I think its obvious that these phones are just not going to work right. And because of this people that call cannot leave a message if were not here because t doesn't ring long enough.

Hi again,

OK - I must say that is is quite unusual that ANY phone would actually ring - when it is disconnected from the phone line.

So can I just verify one more time - that there IS a phone cord disconnected from the MAIN BASE UNIT - like the diagram I have attached, especially at the area I have highlighted (click link if needed to see the image)?

If so, please ALSO disconnect the power adapter from the back of the base unit, and try one more test call.

Okay I disconnected all the things in the picture and called the number from my cell I get a ring one time on the cell but none of the phone sets are ringing.

OK - very good. Now that none of the home phone are connected and you STILL hear only ONE RING in the cell phone, we now KNOW for sure - that the Panasonic system is NOT the cause of the issue.

Now from the symptoms you describe now, it would be my diagnosis that this is a PROVIDER issue. That is, the service provider (you mentioned Frontier) is not allowing the calls to ring more than that one (or 1.5) times. This sometimes happens when a "call block" feature has been turned on, but that would have to be verified with the service provider.

I have the main contact number for Frontier below, and recommend that you contact them as soon as you can to report this issue.

Frontier Phone - Technical Support & Repair
1-***-***-****
Contact Center Hours of Operation: 24/7

Please let me know what is found or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

P.S. Now that we have determined that the Panasonic system is NOT the cause, you can reconnect the main base unit to power and the phone line, just like when we started.

Thanks

You are quite welcome.

Please let me know what is found or if you have any more questions related to this issue.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer