Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

I have a panasonic telephone sytem kxtg6645sk. It has

Customer Question
started to mafunction. When...
I have a panasonic telephone sytem kxtg6645sk. It has started to mafunction. When it is called it rings and Ican answer the phone,but the calling party does not hear me. one of the phones has zzz in the dis pla
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
8/28/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your phones.

May I ask:
1) How many TOTAL handsets do you have with this system, and do ALL handsets have the same issue?
2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line (not part of the Panasonic system)?

Thanks

Hi again,

I didn't see a response from my earlier questions, but I wanted to send the following information before I sign off for the night.

What I SUSPECT that the "real issue" is with the "phone service" - especially if you you have digital-based phone service - like from many cable companies. This is different from the older-style "analog" phone systems, where there were only "wires & cables" between your home and the provider's main phone offices - somewhere around your town or city.

Let me explain a little bit more of what I have been seeing in recent years - since "digital" phone services have been used more and more.

When I hear the symptoms you mentioned - specifically that ONE SIDE of the conversation can not be heard - 80% of the time this type of issue was traced back to the phone service provider's equipment (vs. home equipment & wiring).

BUT, when a "digital" phone service is involved (like most "cable companies"), that percentage goes UP - to about 95% of the time - or HIGHER.

So the MOST LIKELY CAUSE of this issue is the provider's equipment or the "service" that is driving that equipment. Now specifically, you MAY have a "large BOX" in your home that is a "gateway" for ALL of the services you get from your provider (phone, internet, etc.). And quite often that gateway needs to be "updated" with the latest version of control software, so that ALL of your services are up to date and working.

This update USUALLY happens automatically at various times, and you would not notice that it has happened, UNLESS something changes in one of your services, or if an update did not get applied properly. When that happens, one (or more) of the services can start to break down - like what is happening with your phone service.

So what I believe needs to be done is one of two things:
1) "Reset" your home "gateway" device or
2) Have the Technical support folks (at your service provider) reset that gateway for you.

If you want to try to reset it yourself, it is really quite easy. All you need to do is LOCATE the gateway (the LARGE BOX with a bunch of lights on the front and several cables in the back), locate the POWER SUPPLY or POWER CABLE in the back of the box, and disconnect the power for a FULL TWO MINUTES. Then reconnect the power and WAIT another 2-3 minutes - for the gateway to "reload & reboot" ALL of the services and any software updates that may be needed.

I mention this because this is something that most folks can do, and more than 90% of the time this fixes such issues like you are having.

But if you are more comfortable contacting the provider's Technical Support folks, then you can do that using the main contact number for your provider, and selecting "technical support" or perhaps "report a problem" (depends on the provider)

NOTE: The Technical Support folks are usually there 24 hours a day, so they should be able to help you with this issue at any time of the day or night. Once you get to a support person, just tell them that you have their phone service and that you can NOT BE HEARD by the person on the other end of the phone when calls are attempted.

NOTE: You MAY have to call them via a WORKING phone - such as your cell phone or neighbor's phone.

I hope this helps explain what I suspect is happening. Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.

P.S. I should be back on here in about 8-9 hours, if you have more questions or symptoms to report.

(im)

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer