Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

I have a Panasonic voicemail system in my office, that has

Customer Question
Hi this is Dan...
Hi this is Dan. I have a Panasonic voicemail system in my office, that has started to delete voicemail messages automatically. It is KX-TVS50
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
8/29/2015
Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

It is normal for the system to delete voicemail messages after the retention period has expired. But it should not be deleting them right away. Are the messages that it's deleting older messages? Or is it deleting voicemail before you had a chance to listen to it?

Sorry, should have been clearer; I recorded a test message on the VM to myself the other day. Recorded fine, red light indicator on the phone that I had a message waiting, and then about 10 minutes later the message light was off. Checked the voicemail, and it said I had no messages....

Thank you for the additional information. Is it something that could've been a one time thing? Or is it something that you suspected was happening and that's why you checked? In either case it's obviously not normal - message retention can be set to 1 to 30 days or unlimited. 10 minutes is not an option so it can't be something in the configuration. The couple of things that I would do initially – I would restart the system which will take a few minutes to start up. And then I would also check the date to verify that it's correct. This could affect voicemails, but it's not something that should've just changed on its own unless you had a power failure.

Power cycled both the voicemail system and the Panasonic phone system it is connected to .... no change in status. Both are on UPS systems. We noticed that messages were not being received, that is why I did a test message.

Okay. I understand. It sounds like you might have a problem with the hardware rather than programming. Have you been able to verify within the first 10 minutes that you are actually able to listen to the message?

OK, just sent a test message; after a minute I did listen to the message through phone systems, so it is recording the messages.

There is only one setting that relates to this so I would suggest checking that. First you have to be logged in as the message manager – once you are logged into that mailbox, press 4 and then 2 then enter the class of service. The class of service is something that would have been defined for a set of mailboxes that will be a number between 1 and 64. That is something that you have to know to change the settings. Once you enter the class of service press 1 and then press 2. This will bring you to the message retention option.

Press one to change the message retention length, and then you can enter a number between zero and 30 and then press to accept. I know it's so pretty complicate procedure, but it is the only way to access this setting. A setting of zero is supposed to mean that it will retain new messages indefinitely and then one 230 are the number of days. So, what I would do is change it to something above one. And again I would make sure that the time and dates match what they should be. Barring some type of hardware failure I would say it's almost certainly related to a date setting.

I checked the message manager system, and it is set for new message retention of 14 days, and saved messages for 14 days. Still deleting voicemail....

It sounds like you have a hardware problem. Is there anybody that you normally work with for hardware purchases and installation?

At this point,no, purchased the system over 10 years ago. I can check with them about repair
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer