Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

We have a KX-TA824 phone system with a KX-TVA50 voice

Customer Question
processing system. When a...
We have a KX-TA824 phone system with a KX-TVA50 voice processing system. When a call comes in, operator answers and transfers the call to an extension. The call will ring for about a minute, then bounce back to the transferring party instead of going to the extension's voicemail. We can't find where to fix this. (If a call comes in directly to an extension, it will go to voicemail.) Can you point us to the right menu to fix this? Thank you so much.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
8/14/2015
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
What you ask about is a failure of an outside call to transfer to another extension and then transfer to voice mail, I think.
So you may need to set the feature, for each such extension, that is called 'Busy/No Answer' to forward to Voice Mail rather than to another extension.
The 'Busy/No Answer' option, for Call Forwarding, forwards all unanswered calls to that extension, to either another extension, or to VoiceMail.
If that does not work, let me know in Reply, and I will advise you further.
I am going to the office today to try your suggestion. Thanks for the prompt answer; I'm hoping it will fix our issue.

Let me know how it goes at your convenience. Thanks.

We tried your suggestion, but weren't sure which piece of software to use, the software for the phone system or the software for the voice processing unit. In any event, we couldn't find a direct reference in either. There was something labeled "BV" in the voice processing software, which we selected, but it didn't make a difference. Outside calls that were transferred by the operator still would not get answered by voicemail.

I am sure there is a setting that addresses the problem you have, but I have been unable to either remember it or find it. I am sorry to have to confess failure on this matter, and I offer my apologies.

The best that I can offer at this point is to

1. change procedure just a trifle, and

2. change the settings to OHCA - On-Hook Call Announce.

So the procedure for the receptionist getting outside calls coming in and routing them to extensions would be

- use OHCA ... that is ring the extension, and when 'busy' is heard, press 1, and speak to announce the call through their phone's speaker (not the intercom, not all phones), and this might change the way the voicemail system picks up on such calls.

In short, I suspect that maybe the receptionist's way of trying to transfer the calls may affect whether the voicemail at the extension picks up on it.

That's okay. We've had this phone system for several years, and thought we had accessed every menu at one time or another. I know this is a new development, so perhaps Panasonic has changed the software between the XP version and the Windows 7 version. I'll try the OHCA, but it will be several days before I can do that. I'll be out of this office this week. Thanks for trying. Toni
If this last effort, almost a guess, of mine fails to provide the solution you need, and if I cannot in the meantime recall the full measure of my partial memory of a solution to this problem, I will Opt Out, opening it to other Experts... and if you wish, I will do so now, in order that you may have other suggestions sooner, if you wish.
Russell H., Service Tech