Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

HOW DO WE WIRE A LUCENT TELEPHONE SYSTEM WIRED WITH 4 WIRES

Customer Question

HOW DO WE WIRE A LUCENT TELEPHONE SYSTEM WIRED WITH 4 WIRES FOR TWO PHONE LINES SO THAT THE TWO OUTER WIRES WHICH ARE FOR OUR # ***** LINE CAN
BE USED FOR A TWO WIRE JACK ON THE BACK OF OUR FAX MACHINE. WHEN WE TRY TO USE THEN 2 OUTER WIRES ONLY IN THE CENTER QF A JACK FOR THE # ***** LINE WE ONLY GET A BUZZ NOISE. THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH OUR PHONES ANSWERING ON LINE
#1 OR #2, SO OUR SYSTEM WORKS FINE BUT WE ARE UNABLE TO CONNECT THE FAX MACHINE TO THE /#2 LINE. THANKS
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Can the fax work on other (or, normal) fax lines? is the first question to ask in this sort of situation. With regard to the fax problem, this might be of interest: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Two-2-wire-to-Four-4-wire-converter-or-adapter/td-p/801139 and suggests that you need to not wire the fax to the outer wires, but to the inner. Let the outer wires be for voice phones, that may be the only workable way to use it.