Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a Vtech phone with a built in answering machine. The

Customer Question

I have a Vtech phone with a built in answering machine. The two most recent messages were accidently deleted. Can the be retrieved?
Thank you,
Rosanne
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello Rosanne & Welcome to Just Answer,
I don't what you to get your hopes up, but may I ask the FULL Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?
Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I didn't see a response from my first note, but wanted to send the following information along anyway.
First, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your messages. Since this system most likely uses a "digital" answering system - that uses "memory" to store the messages (and not tape - like the older systems) then I don't have "good news" for you.
In 99.99% of the cases, once a "digital message" is deleted, it can't be recovered. This is because of the way these systems operate, and that once the messages are deleted, the memory that holds them is immediately "compacted" to make more space.
I completely understand if you are disappointed or saddened by losing these memories, as I had almost the same thing happen to some of the messages that were stored on our machine. My wife's father - who has now passed away - had left a Birthday greeting for my wife on the machine a few years ago, and a long term power failure erased those. I still don't like to remind her of those messages, as she still gets upset that they are gone. But she still has all the memories - inside her own memory.
I hope this helps. Sorry to have to give you this news, but I will only give you an honest and accurate answer. Please don't hold that against me.
Take Care, Greg A.
(im)