Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

KX-TGA450 - sometimes callers say it is difficult to hear our convers…

Customer Question
KX-TGA450 - sometimes callers...
KX-TGA450 - sometimes callers say it is difficult to hear our conversation - the sound/volume is weak. The manual mentions talk volume control but seems to relate to speaker phone adjustment. Can the microphone on the KX-TGA450B become dirty or become partly blocked. Can the handset be opened to clean the microphone. Any other suggestions?
Best regards,
Trev
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
7/2/2015
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Nathan, Technician
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:
1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually, what you sent is just the handset)
Thank you for your response.
1) - Yes, 6 handsets - all users report the callers sometimes saying they can't hear us very well. One lady holds the handset horizontal and speaks direct to the microphone slot, lifting the handset back to her ear when the caller respond.
2) - No not on the same line - three lines via internet to the KX-TG4500 phone system - a fax on a separate line
3) - From a local cable company (Brighthouse).
4) - No DSL
5) - Panasonic KX-TG4500 base unit with KX-TGA450B handsets
Best regards,
Trev
Thanks for the info, Trev.This is a single kx-tg4500 system though, with 6 handsets - it is not multiple base stations, just to confirm.And the volume issue is with the other person hearing you, not you hearing them. Since it happens with all of them, it isn't a microphone issue - this is either a fault in the main base station or a line fault. Since it it is a digital/cable based phone, which is really a VOIP line, it is quite possible this is a brighthouse connection problem with intermittent upload speed/consistency deficiencies. To isolate further, is it possible for you to connect another phone, preferably just a basic corded model, to one of the lines and test how that works? Testing the wired panasonic handset may be helpful as well for comparison.
Thanks - I'll try your suggestion tomorrow.
Best regards,
Trev
You're welcome.I'll go ahead and give you some additional info now while we're both line, to save you trip back - if the other phone has the same problem, it is a line fault and brightouse would have to resolve that on their end. You can try a quick reboot of your modem first by unplugging it for 60+ seconds. Beyond that they'd have to send a tech out to check the lines/connection. If the other phone works normally, then it is a panasonic base station issue.The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from all handsets3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) check for functionality.If the problem persists after this, it tends to confirm a hardware failure which would require repairs to correct. In that event the base will need to be replaced.Good luck,Nathan
Hi Trev, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you,