Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My current AT&T 6.0 DECT phone is a real bummer. Whenever…

Customer Question
My current AT&T 6.0 DECT...
My current AT&T 6.0 DECT phone is a real bummer. Whenever I make a call the voice of the person speaking to me constantly cuts in and out like you would experience if listening to the radio and someone turning the switch on & off or like you would get if the battery on a cell phonecall was almost completely drained and you hear only every 3 or 4 words then nothing then the nest few words, etc. Obviously very annoying. This occurs no matter what phone number I've dialed. Can't say for sure if on both outbound calls and inbound or just on outbound calls. Never experienced this before on previous cordless phone and I am wondering if it has something to do with it being a DECT 6.0 phone. Does that mean to bandwidth it operates on?? There is no button on the keypad to switch channels. AT&T utility company did not find anything wrong when they checked the line outside the house. But never had this problem with old cordless phone. Hope you can supply me with an answer to what could be causing this. And hopefully a solution also.
Terry M.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2015
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Technician
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them? 2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP/fiber service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?4) Do you have dsl service on the same line? 5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)
The model number of the AT&T cordless phone is TL96271, has the base and only 1 other handset.
There is no fax hooked up or sharing the line. 1 other phone outside of this system, it is a corded GE phone which caused no problem with previous cordless phone used in conjunction with each other and problem existed even when I disconnected the GE corded phone from the mainline and it was just the AT&T base phone and the 1 handset hooked up. Problem occurs with both the base and the 1 handset. There is no dsl service or VOIP involved here either. The landline service is provided by the local phone utility AT&T.
Thank you for the information. If you disconnect the ATT cordless system, does the old GE phone work normally? If so, then this is not a line issue, but a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets/base). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from all handsets3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge5) check for functionality. If the problem persists after this, it tends to confirm a hardware failure which would require repairs to correct. This isn't a problem inherent to the dect6 frequency or a battery problem. You cannot change channels on these phones, it is a digital signal that spectrum hops constantly to optimize the signal. Rather this is a manufacturing defect in the phone itself, which honestly isn't surprising to see - we commonly see this type of fault in the ATT branded phone equipment which tends to be poor quality. Your best bet at that point would be to replace the ATT system with a better quality model: http://amzn.to/1SY0QrB
I will try to do as you say and inform you of the results. If this does not solve the problem and I decide to purchase a different phone I have in mind a model from V-Tech. Any known problems with that brand of cordless phone? I will be away from computer for awhile -- doctor's appmnt.
I would avoid vtech and att, they are both at the low end of the quality spectrum. Siemens is the best for cordless phones, but are uncommon in the US. Panasonic is next best followed by Uniden. Vech are not recommended nor are ATT or Motorola. Best regards,Nathan
I performed all steps which you had listed and the problem does still persists. That being the case, I am requesting that the charge already tacked onto my credit card be refunded to me since I am no better off now than I was to start with. Oh and for future reference and in case I should need to speak by phone regarding this matter or a future situation rather than communicating via email what is the phone number?
Thank you for trying, and I"m sorry to hear that didn't help. In cases such as this, I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem and giving you practical advise for how to proceed. I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Had you intended to ask for a refund, I would not have proceeded to continue working with you. You continued to engage me with further questions, leading me to believe you were proceeding in good faith as was I. I'm happy to work with you further on this question, but the phone support option would be an additional fee. Continued chat on this same question would be covered here under the original fee. Future questions on another topic would need to be posted as a new question - you can reach me directly at http://bit.ly/1BRPXTF Continued discussion on this topic though would be predicated on your following through with the agreed upon payment. I'm sure you can appreciate that I cannot spend my time working for free. Regarding the payment, again I'm an independent tech, and have no control over or access to billing matters. If in the end you feel it is fair and reasonable to utilize my time and efforts at no cost, you may contact customer service through the help page of this site to request a refund through them. Best regards,Nathan
Nathan, Technician