Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

Panasonic KX-TG5100M base unit reset phones.

Customer Question

Panasonic KX-TG5100M base unit reset for registered phones. Have followed the instructions in the box at the bottom of page 67 of the manual, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I have replaced a couple of the handsets and the base says I have used my total number of registrations because it still remembers the old handsets. I have tried the reset procedure (no power to anything then restore the power) but that hasn't changed anything. There is obviously some kind of a power backup, as the date/time/phonebook information is still there after losing power.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Do you have any of the existing / previously registered handsets from the original system that are still working and registered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have some that were registered and working. I deregistered all of the handsets to see if that would help the problem. I can register one easily enough.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
What I was getting at is that you need to use one of the existing/prior handsets, and then from it you can deregister each of the others. That lets you start with a clean slate to register the replacement ones as those slots will now be available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. I have one handset registered and working
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** process actually won't work on your model. This is one of the older series that had no ability to deregister other handsets. You can only deregister a handset from that handset itself. The newer models allow you to deregister all the other handsets from a working one. On this system when a handset fails you lose that slot and there is really no other way to retrieve it. The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from all handsets3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge (do this with one of your unregistered new/replacement handsets)5) check for functionality (attempt to register again).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try that. I have completed all of the steps other than placing a handset on the main base so that will be easy enough
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Great, hopefully that does the trick.If it does not, there is really no other way to restore those spots for the old handsets that are no longer functional and at that point you'd either have to use this one with fewer handsets or replace the entire system. If you would prefer to upgrade to one of the newer dect6 systems (which have much better range and clarity) I can recommend some options for you, just let me know.Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That didn't help. However after I tried that I went back to the manual one more time. In the instructions in the box at the bottom of page 67 I was neglecting to enter the # ***** before the handset number. I added the pound sign and now everything is great.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
After the 335 step?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thats great, glad it worked for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
me too. It's very frustrating when it doesn't.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Agreed. Were you able to get all of the handsets going then?