Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

I have call/answeer on my vtech cordless phone, but i dont

Customer Question
seem to get my calls...
i have call/answeer on my vtech cordless phone, but i dont seem to get my calls. on the other phone i had you called op, star and pound key three times and it wprked dosent seem that way with this one.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
6/14/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the Vtech phone system you are working with?
2) What "other phone" did you have before - that worked?
3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
Thanks
the model is; CS6729-4
i have bel-aliant for service provider
the other phone panasonic forgot number but it was also cordless
i think all phones are supposed to work as the panasonic did this v/tech i have just bought seems different. something not just right it seems
the lit that came with the damned thing said to get vtech its supposed to be guaranteed so how come i have to pay you?
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - may I ask if when you say "i dont seem to get my calls", does that mean that you can NOT receive "regular" calls - and answer them,
OR
do you mean something else?
Thanks
my usual half assed way of writing i guess. i get phone calls ok its the voicemails i dont seem able to get
Very good - thanks for that information.
OK - to you have the "ring count" set the SAME as the older system - so that your Vtech can answer the calls at the same time the Panasonic did?
If so, can you tell me that ring count?
what is the ring count?
Hi again,
Ring Count is the number of time the phone is set to ring BEFORE the answering system picks up the calls.
BUT, let me step back a bit and ask:
Are your message being store in the provider's "Voice Mail" system
OR
Are you trying to use the built-in "Answering System" of the Vtech phone to hold your messages?
Thanks
i would say one ring but that dont sound too sensible does it?my messages are stored by the provider the built in one always says y ou have no messages
OK - very good.
You are correct - MOST phone system have a "default" ring count of about 4-5 rings.
Now if you messages are on the provider's system, you will need to KNOW the process that is used to get into the "Voice Mail" system and listen to your messages.
So I took a look at the Bel-Aliant note for most of their voice mail systems, and it looks like you can use ANY phone in you home to access their system by picking up any handset, listening in for a dial tone, and then dialing * 9 9 (star nine nine).
At that point, you MAY be asked for a "code" to get further access to the system.
So can you TRY the * 9 9 after a dial tone - and see if you can access the voice mail that way?
Thanks
finally dawned what you asked about ring number. the old phone was set for5 rings firstthe new vtech i havent been able to set ihavent talked with an op the system seems mostly computerized.
Hi again,
OK - if we are dealing with the Voice Mail system of your provider, we don't really need to be concerned about the settings for the Vtech Answering system, as that will NOT be used (you will want to keep it off in most cases).
So were you able to access the Voice mail system - at least to the point of "getting in" - by dialing * 9 9?
no i get please hang up and dial your call again
OK - let's try a different method that may work.
NOTE: I am assuming you are HOME and trying to reach your home voice mail, but let me know if that is not correct.
So pick up any handset and dial your own phone number, and let me know what you hear.
Thanks
yes that is true.........when i dial my number she still says please hang up but also something more about any further calls and well get back to you. maybe next time she might say something about my answering system? i wont hold my breath
im gonna watch the news greg forget it for now maybe i can call you someday as you hVE SOME IDEA OF MY PROB. JIM L.
Hi again,
That's interesting.
Do you remember that message every being spoken to you before - like when you called in and did NOT have any voice mails waiting?
I only ask because that sounds like the kind of announcement you are getting.
Also, may I ask your general location, as the access method MAY be different for your area?
What I am looking for is "New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland", etc.
One other thing: Do you still have the OLD PHONE(S) - so perhaps we can find the access number and code in there?
Thanks
i just discovered my problem i think greg that time i got the right op but when she said press one to disconnect or two to record the phone did not do it it beeped here when i pressed one or two but the op. never heard it she said are you still there?
oh yes im in the annapolis valley of nova scotia but the old phone has gone west im afraid greg.
I'm still here - just waiting for your location.
Now that I know that, let me give you the "Technical Support" number for your provider.
1(###) ###-####
They should be there 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and they MAY be able to check your voice mail setup and give you the EXACT access method to get in.
Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
well i hope your right greg but the op before didnt seem to hear the signals from the numbers i gave her. i have noticed these phone seem to have two different sounds when you are sending numbers ( to the user that is ) the ones its doing now are beeps some times it is beep kachow every time cuagain ....jim
OK - that MAY be that the Vtech is in "pulse dial mode" (instead of touch tone).
May I ask if you have the system manual for the Vtech system handy, and of so, how many pages long is it (approximately)?
I only ask because many of these system now come with "quick start guides" instead of the full manual, and how to check and set the Dial Mode may not be in the quick guide.
Thanks
yes i got the quick start guide and it referred me to vtech.canada.comwhich is how i got you i guess.its called abridged users manual.you mention the vtech might be in pulse dial mode which it probably is we have touch tone tho so it probably woud make a difference. i dont see set dial tone theres not a great deal on the paper.thanks again ole buddy....jim l/
OK - let me see if I can find a link to the FULL manual for you.
Then we can CHECK and CHANGE the dial mode - to see if that is the issue.
Back soon.
OK - here is a link to the electronic (PDF) version of the FULL manual.
http://cdn-media.vtechphones.com/media/p/document2/products/%7B7283E9C8-6E1B-4A9F-968A-7A8E674FC179%7D/CS6729-4_UM_V5_20141217.pdf
The instructions for setting and checking the Dial Mode are on page 10 of the manual (if it were printed), but page 16 of the PDF display (because of the 6 "leading pages" of the document).
Let me see if I can copy & paste those instructions.
============================
DIDN'T really work :-(.
===========================
Let me know if you have any trouble getting that PDF manual.
sorry greg went to sleep on you ill see what i can do tomorrow. good night and thanks a million jim l.
No worries Jim. I'm on here almost every day to help.
But, I'm in the Pacific time zone, (about 8:45PM right now), and don't usually get on until about 8-9AM Pacific time. So if you send something here and don't hear back before then, you know why.
Have a great night, Greg A.
ill keep you in mind for sure greg and thanks again....jim l.
You're quite welcome.
Hope to hear any results tomorrow.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer