Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

Purchased an att DECT 6.0 phone with two handhelds. Would

Customer Question
not work. Contacted Robert. Final...
Purchased an att DECT 6.0 phone with two handhelds. Would not work. Contacted Robert. Final decision was to return it to Best Buy. I bought the same model, and it won';t work. Have followed all directions on the troubleshooting page of the manual. Still
won't work. So, here we go again....:o(
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
6/12/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome back,
Is this the same issue you were dealing with - on the following page?
http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/94uyt-recently-purchased-best-buy-dect-6-0-at-t-corded-phone.html
If so, I reviewed that page and see that:
- the Model Number of the AT&T phone was not stated, AND
- the phone line itself was NOT TESTED with a DIFFERENT phone and/OR
- the AT&T system was NOT TESTED at a different location (with a "known good" phone service).
So may I ask if you have a friend or neighbor close by where you could either BORROW a DIFFERENT phone - OR - take the AT&T system to their home and briefly connect it to their "working" phone line - to see if you can get a dial tone there?
Thanks
Hmmm, can't find your reference to "the following page". Where can I find the model? Because I did not/do not have
a phone, I will test the power input by plugging in a toaster; is that sufficient? (I just plugged in the toaster, and there is electrical power at the plug; is that sufficient for your question.
Hi again,
The MODEL NUMBER of MOST AT&T cordless systems is printed on the bottom or back of the MAIN BASE UNIT.
Plugging in the POWER to the phone is not a good enough TEST. The Main Base unit MUST have TWO connections: POWER and the (working) phone line.
We MUST connect the PHONE CORD from the Main Base Unit to the Phone Jack (in the wall normally) - to be able to get a dial tone.
So you you have a friend or neighbor nearby - where you can BORROW a simple phone (corded phone is best for test) to try in your phone jack?
OR, can you take your Main Base unit (and one handset) to a neighbor's home and TEST it there?
By the way, what we are REALLY doing is TESTING the PHONE LINE (or phone service).
Thanks
All I see on the bottom of the base is 4H20, and there is no model # ***** the box except for CL84202.
I have both a power line connected and a phone jack connected at both ends, including a filter on the phone jack which is "required". Everything is properly connected. If what you are trying to do is "testing the phone line or phone service" do I need to call Comcast to confirm that? I did that with phone system #1, and they said I was connected. Do I need to call Comcast again on THIS phone?
What are the chances in this whole wide world that two phone systems of the same model purchased at Best Buy can be faulty...must me me?.....:o)
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - the CL84202 is fine for a model number, and that tells me that you should have TWO cordless HANDSETS with the system. Is that correct?
If so, and you have CHARGED one of the cordless handsets for AT LEAST 30 minutes, we can TEST for a dial tone now.
To do that, make sure you have the phone cord connected to the MAIN BASE UNIT (it sounds like you have that done). Then pick up one of the CORDLESS HANDSETS and press the PHONE button, and LISTEN for the dial tone.
Please let me know if that dial tone is there.
Thanks
P.S. Chances that TWO packages or the same phone are faulty are SLIM - and NOT VERY likely. What I really suspect is the phone SERVICE - from your provider (Comcast). So please TEST for the dial tone for me, as mentioned above, and then we can take the next step.
Yes, I have two cordless systems. Both have been charging for more than 24 hours. Just did as you suggested,
and there is no dial tone.
Hi again,
OK - as long as you are NOT seeing a some display on the handsets like "out of range" - that tells us that the HANDSETS ARE connecting to the main base unit - BUT the Main Base Unit is NOT detecting a WORKING phone line.
So let's move our attention to the phone line itself.
Since you mentioned Comcast, may I ask if you have a MAIN BOX (often called a "modem" or "router" or "Gateway") - where ALL of there services (phone, TV, internet) come into your home and connect to a main CABLE?
If so, can you tell me if that MAIN BOX has a BUNCH of "lights" on the front (some steady ON some blinking), and a BUNCH of cables connected in the BACK?
Thanks
This is getting intriguing! Yes, we have a main box modem with Comcast that connects with our phone, TV and computer.
We have a "bunch of' wires connected" on the back wall. Re: the modem beside the computer, all lights are on for power, USDS, online, wifi, telephone 1 and battery,....but not telephone 2...which I suspect is correct , none blinking.
Hi again,
That sounds correct to me - at least basically.
OK - FIRST thing to CHECK is that the PHONE CORD in the BACK of the "box" is plugged into the PHONE 1 connector - and NOT the PHONE 2 connector. That swap could have happened during all the TESTING that was done.
So please check that, and then (as a TEST) DISCONNECT that phone cord connection, wait a moment or two, and then WITH THE PHONE CORD STILL DISCONNECTED - use one of the handsets and press the TALK button.
What I suspect SHOULD happen when the phone cord is disconnected, is that you should see a message like "check tel line" displayed on the handset. So if you DO see that - its fine. Just plug the phone cord back into the PHONE 1 connector and we will move on.
Thanks
Hi again,
I didn't see a response back yet, but wanted to send the "next step" if there was no change with disconnecting and reconnecting the phone cord from the PHONE 1 connector - OR - if the phone cord WAS in the PHONE 2 connector, and service was NOT restored when moved to the PHONE 1 connector.
The next step that YOU can do may seem a little drastic, but it can be done without trying to contact the Technical Support (or customer service) folks at Comcast.
This next step is to "power-cycle" the MAIN BOX you found - by disconnecting the POWER CORD from the back of the box, and LEAVING IT DISCONNECTED for a FULL TWO MINUTES.
And yes, this will disconnect ALL of the services going through that box (TV, Internet, Phone) when it is disconnected from power, but it should come right back when the power is reconnected.
Now AFTER that TWO MINUTE WAIT, reconnect the power cord to the back of the unit (in the same spot as before), and the WAIT and WATCH the front lights for a minute or so - as the BOX "reloads & reboots" all of the service controls. This effectively "updates" any software that may need to be updated to restore the services of that box.
Now AFTER that delay of watching the lights, it would be time to CHECK and TEST for a dial tone (as tested before) - to see if the dial tone is there AND that you can call OUT and get calls coming IN.
If that now works, you should be all set.
BUT, if that does NOT work, then it would be time to give the technical support folks a call and report this issue - as soon as you can. The support folks should be there to take your call 24 hours a day. But if your AT&T system still does not allow you to call out, you will of course need to use a different phone (cell phone or neighbor/friend's phone) to make that call. I have the Comcast MAIN contact numbers below (either should work for you).
1-800-COMCAST
1(###) ###-####
1-800-XFINITY
1.***-***-****
Please let me know if that power-cycle of the main box works for you or if you need to contact support as the next step.
Thanks, ***** *****
Electronics Technician: James-cssm,
 replied 2 years ago
James-cssm
Hi Fred,
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/phone-systems/954z7-purchased-att-dect-6-0-phone-two-handhelds.html#. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Hi again,
I see you tried to continue our conversation yesterday - sorry I didn't see that request (it got put in a different question.
If you need to continue, please try to REPLY here.
Thanks
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer