Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I own Panasonic Model KX-TG7871 cordless phone in my home .

Customer Question

I own Panasonic Model KX-TG7871 cordless phone in my home . Everything was fine until I attempted to check my phone messages from my car & now on my cordless home phone the screen on that phone always reads "NEW VOICE MAIL PRESS VM"
When I do....all I get is a busy signal. No one is able to leave any voice mail messages.
Do you have a solution?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask:
1) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
2) WHEN do you get the "busy signal" you referred to?
3) WHERE were the messages that you "cleared"? Was that on the internal answering system of the Panasonic?
Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My telephone service provider is TIME WARNER CABLE.
Receive busy signal when I attempt to listen to message.
Yes, messages that were on system before this happened I cleared internal.
All started when I attempted to check if any messages on home phone from my car.
Window on my phone since this began, consistently reads: NEW VOICE MAIL
(Of course there isn't any because none can be left...phone will only keep ringing & not go to voice mail.)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - can you do a QUICK TEST for me?
That TEST is to pick up the cordless handset, press the TALK button on that handset, and QUICKLY listen for a dial tone.
When you do that, can you tell me if you hear a series of "pulsed" dial tones - followed by a "steady" dial tone?
NOTE: It may take a couple of tries to TEST this.
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am answering these questions from my cell phone...please let me know when & if to use the Panasonic which I just tested per your request.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
OK - just to VERIFY - you DID HEAR the "pulsed" dial tones - when TESTING the Panasonic system - is that correct?
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
OK - very good.
What that TEST tells us is that your phone service provider has a "Voice mail" system set up - on your land line phone service - AND that system either has some NEW voice mail messages waiting for you OR the system needs some "attention" (such as needs to be set up).
Just to be clear, any Voice Mail system your provider might have is DIFFERENT and SEPARATE from the Answering system - which is built into the Panasonic Main Base Unit.
So have you had the Voice Mail system from your provider set up and working - BEFORE this issue first began?
In other words, were you USING the Voice Mail system and NOT the built in Answering system of the Panasonic - before this all began?
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If so what is my course to remedy the problem? Call Time Warner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That might have been 1st time with the Panasonic phone system I tried to check messages remotely. 99% of time use call forwarding.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
That depends on IF you had this voice mail system (from Time Warner) and want to KEEP using it, or if you want to use the internal Answering system of your Panasonic system.
NOTE: I usually recommend that you have ONLY ONE answering system, as having TWO or more systems can be a bit confusing, and you would have to remember to check BOTH systems on a regular basis.
If you want to use the Panasonic, I would recommend contacting Time Warner and have the Voice Mail system turned OFF, as that would be the easiest thing to do. I have their contact number below, and someone SHOULD be available 24 hours a day to answer your call.
For Questions about Time Warner Cable's services or any urgent matters, please call:
800-TWCable(###) ###-####
Please let me know what you decide or if you have any more questions.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. Will do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
You're quite welcome and I'm glad I could help.
Please let me know your results - when you can.
And another note: When it comes to having two "options" for a "message taking system" (Answering machine & Voice Mail), most folks pick "what they are used to" having.
And of course there are good points and not so good points to each system, so you can be comfortable with whatever choice you make for the system you want to use.
I will be here if you have any more questions.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this issue.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)