Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have two vetch CS6719 cordless phones and would like to use

Customer Question

I have two vetch CS6719 cordless phones and would like to use them as an intercom between two different that have a separate 4 wire phone line between them. Can you supply a diagram for a power supply that will drive them and possible use the 'flash' button to call? I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thank you,
Art Schupp
***@******.***
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Hi Art, and sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Are you saying that you do not want to have them use an actual live phone line, so they won't be making any incoming/outgoing calls? It would be strictly for intercom purposes?
Do you have just 2 handsets, and 1 shared base (not charger, but actual base station), or are there 2 completely separate systems, with 2 separate bases?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have two complete system one main base each I have no additional units.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not want to connect to the phone company line.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still with me?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am here. Please only reply once at a time. When you send multiple replies, you get pushed down in the queue and it takes longer for me to see it. Just a moment please.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
What you are wanting to do may be possible, but is overly cumbersome, complicated, and costly. It is not necessary to add any extra equipment or even a wired line.The vtech units as-is have a built in intercom function.My suggestion would be to deregister one handset from its base, and rereister it to the other base, so they are both on the same base station. The unregistered base can then just be used as a charging station. The handsets each have an INT button on them to initiate the intercome function between them, wirelessly. The phones may give you an error message, such as "no line", because it isn't connected to a phone line, but it would still work for the intercom feature, you just won't have a dial tone if you tried to use them otherwise. I can give you the deregister/register steps, if you'd like to try that option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried that but the two houses are so far apart the ireless signals do not reach
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
I was unaware this would be in two different houses. Your question did not specify a distance.How far apart are they, and what is the exact wiring between them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are on a ranch and about 2000 feet apart. There is a conduit between them with six 4-wire phone cables. Only two of the cables are in use.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for confirming. That long of a run isn't going to do well with just a 9v battery, way too much voltage drop. A typical phone line needs to run a signal about 50-60v.Your best bet would be to just plug in a commercially made line booster: http://amzn.to/1JZCuL7You'd want to pair it with a 24v or higher power supply: http://amzn.to/1JZCB9pIf you want to build your own, you'd need to start with something much larger. 48vdc power supplies are fairly readily available and would be the easiest to use.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I have 48 V supply and will do that probably tomorrow. Will the 'flash' or some other button signal the opposite phone?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Honestly, there is no way to know without trying. Flash should do it, since it will interrupt the line voltage. Normally you need a bigger spike (up to 90v) to trigger the ring, so you might have to feed it a higher voltage and experiment with this a bit. 48 would be a safe starting point though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK! BYE
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Best of luck to you!If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried the 48 volt supply across the red and green wires (only ones with the provided phones), both polarities, but only got a slight hum. The line between the phones during the test was about 100 feet
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Is that an ac or dc power supply?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just checked my credit account and see a $40.00 from justanswer.com. This is extremely for information you supplied that I already know. I have modified many telephones for friends (I am actually working on one at this time) but never a wireless system and wanted some answers describing the difference. So far I have not received anything new from you. I don't mind paying for relevant information but plan to dispute this charge that is way too high. I have used this system before and when the chat time was completed, the technician suggests a price and I have always given the suggested amount or more. Also I have always given a good report about his actions.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Art,I have absolutely no control over the billing procedures. To my knowledge, the site works the same way now as it always has. You select and agree to a price up front, and put down your deposit for that, then when an expert (such as myself) responds, the site charges you the balance. At the end, when you rate/accept, it is only then that I get a small portion of your fee for my time. At that point you're also given the option to provide a bonus - there is no negotiating about the price, as you agreed to it up front.There is not a time limit on this, and if you wanted other information, you need only ask. The process for a cordless phone is really no different than a corded model. They both use the same phone line circuitry and require the same line voltages to operate and to trigger the ring functions. The only addition is that the base stations each need their own power supply as well, for the internal radio transmitters. Did you check this same setup with a corded phone? If you prefer, I'm happy to opt out, and let another expert step in. If if you wish to just drop it entirely, I can cancel out for you as well. Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did have to give my credit card information to continue but I do not think there was an amount shown. If I had known that it would be $40 for, as you say, a down payment, I would closed the site. If $40 is the down payment what is the final bill going to be? I will remove justanswer.com from my list of companies that I deal with.I will have to take one of the wireless base units apart to see what differences there are. I have a Doctors degree in Electrical Engineering and also one in Physics so I will probably find an answer.You might as well close this chat session.Thanks,Art
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
$40 is the total, which should have been made quite clear at several points. $5 would have been the down, and the remaining $35 when corresponding with me. It shows that you have several prior questions, which would have been under the same arrangement. I'll consider the question closed, and you may contact customer service to request a refund. Best of luck to you,Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did check with them an they refunded the $40.00 down and also the $5.00 that was supposed to go to you. It seems sort of lopsided - $40 for them for doing almost nothing and only $5 for you doing everything. Also when I asked the original question it said there would be some number of free questions but there would be a charge for your time.I think you should get paid and I would like to get $10 to you somehow. They have closed my account so do you have a paypal account where I could transfer the money to you or is there some other way? Let me know.Art