Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Greg. My phone has an envelope symbol in the screen indicating…

Customer Question
Hi Greg. My...
Hi Greg. My phone has an envelope symbol in the screen indicating I have a message. My answering machine was not on so the phone took the message. How do I either retrieve the message or delete it or hear it.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
5/26/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 3 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? That model should be printed on the bottom or back of the MAIN BASE UNIT of your phone system.
2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
Thanks
BY40148378. Phone Service is provided by FiOS
Hi again,
OK - that looks more like a serial number than a model number, as MOST Uniden model numbers are about 4 digit long, and usually start with a single letter - such as D1500 (or something like that).
There should also be the WORD "MODEL" or perhaps the letters "M/N" in front of the model.
Also, what COMPANY provides your phone service?
Thanks
M/N D1780-2
Hi again and thanks for that.
Can you now CONFIRM what COMPANY provides the phone service?
"FIOS" is generally provided by Verizon, but I need you to CONFIRM that is the case.
Thanks
VERIZON
Are you still there
Hi again and thanks for that confirmation.
Sorry for any delay.
OK - the little "envelope" on the display usually means that you have "Voice mail" waiting - from your service provider, BUT I would like you to do a QUICK TEST for me - to confirm that a "signal" to put that icon on the screen is there.
The TEST is to pick up any HANDSET while not on a call and press the TALK (HOME) button, and then QUICKLY LISTEN for the dial tone.
It may take a time or two, but let me know if you hear a series of "pulsed" dial tones - followed by a "steady" dial tone. (the pulsed tones are what we are TESTING for).
Thanks
I get pulsing then a steady tone,
OK - very good.
That means that the Verizon service DOES have the Voice Mail system active for your phone line.
So the next thing to do is ACCESS that voice mail system, to get to the menu that allows you to listen to the message(s).
Now if you have NOT used the voice mail system before, it may need to be "set up". So please use the link below to access that system AND set it up - if needed.
http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/phone/homephone/general+support/fios+voice+service/ad/121162.htm
NOTE: To go to the link, you should be able to "click on it" BUT if not, HIGHLIGHT the entire link, and then right-click and select "OPEN in new tab" (or open in new window).
Also, note the "default pass code" in those instructions - if you have not set up the system in the past. If you HAVE set up the system, use whatever pass code you have set for accessing the system.
Once you have listened to ALL the messages that may be there, that "signal" should go away, and the envelope icon should also go away.
Please let me know your results - when you can.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer