Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

Received new answering system with 3 handsets.unplugged one

Customer Question
received new answering system with...
received new answering system with 3 handsets.
unplugged one handset while I was out of town for one week.
now I have the following problems:
no dial tone,
can not make calls out or access voicemail,
I can receive incoming calls , but can not answer unless they leave a message.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Phone Systems
5/22/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask:
1) The Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?
2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
Thanks
make;AT&T. Model EL52353.
Phone Service Provider-Verizon
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - the FIRST THING I would do is a "reset" of the AT&T system, as detailed below.
BUT, I would also make sure that there are NO OTHER DEVICES attached to the phone line - that may be preventing the AT&T system from making OUTGOING CALLS.
I would do that by disconnecting ALL devices from ALL phone jacks in your home, and then leave them disconnected for 5-10 minutes.
Then I would reconnect ONLY the AT&T Main Base Unit, wait a few seconds, and then check for a dial tone and if outgoing calls can be made.
If that does not work to get your dial tone back and be able to make calls, the next thing I would do is the AT&T reset - as shown below.
NOTE: This assumes that ONLY the AT&T system is connected to the phone line AND that all handsets in the system have the same symptoms.
ALSO, I will assume that the handset that was left OFF the charger is now FULLY charged again.
============================
Cordless system "reset" procedure.
This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================
Please give these things a try and let me know what you find or if you have other symptoms. There MAY be more issues, even with the phone service provider.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer