Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
74170494

What does it mean to be “red flagged” in the pharmacy

What does it mean to be “red flagged” in the pharmacy system? I have been on adderall and clonazepam since 2004. I had my doctor change my Rx for adderall this month to 3 20s a day instead of 2 30s a day. I turned my Rx in and after 30 minutes I was called up to the window and told the pharmacist “doesn’t feel comfortable filling that amount.” So I spoke with him and he said it being 90 pills and my being red flagged in the system for possible overdose, he would rather not fill it.
I said WHAT? This is the exact same 60mg a day but I asked him to LOWER it so if I’m tired at the end of the day I won’t take the third one and just go to bed. I have to listen to my body and quit when it needs to due to fibromyalgia. He said ok, he would get it ready.
Forty five minutes later it was ready and $164.00. Insurance fought them on the phone and said they’d only cover two per day. I just paid and left. I had been there 2 hours.
So what is a “red flag” and why would I have that? I’ve consistently been on the exact same Medicine since 2004. How can I find out who flagged me and how do I get this flag removed?

Hi this is Dr. Rollins it is most likely a state monitoring system that is required by law for a pharmacy to report all controlled prescriptions to that caused the "red flag". I hope I have helped, and I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by clicking on 5 stars at the top of the screen. Rating me now does not close your question

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I know that part. I need to know what the red flagging is for, how I can find out why, and how I can get rid of it?

I see you have given me a negative rating I had to step away from my computer for a moment. Would you like for me to continue my answer so I can hopefully change your rating as you satisfaction is my top priority. Thanks.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sure

Can you give me information regarding your previous and current fill dates. My first thought is that you are not "red flagged" but the pharmacist used this term and it was actually the system alerting the pharmacist to the fact that the prescription was early.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He said I was “red flagged for possible overdose.” I get it filled every month when I go to the doctor. I use whatever pharmacy has the Teva brand in stock. It’s hard to find. This is the first time I’ve lowered my dose. It’s been 30 mg twice a day since 2004.

Ok thanks for the information. Adderall's maximum dose per day is 50mg per the manufacturer of the medication that is why the system is "red flagging" your prescription. It would do this for any patient above 50mg since it is above the suggested dosing. Hopefully this information will satisfy your question and you will consider a higher rating for my time. Thank you for the question. If you need any further assistance don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The FDA max allowed dose is 60 per day, especially with narcolepsy. But I’ve been on 60 mg a day for 16 years. So why now? Who would flag it? How do I remove it?

You are correct for narcolepsy dosing. The point is in a state monitoring program there is no way to "red flag" a patient the system will give warning electronically and is the same warning for all patient. For example: multiple pharmacies used, multiply physicians, high dose alerts, too soon refilling, etc. Hopefully this explains it to you. I feel the pharmacist used the term "red flag" for this process.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Oh, I see. Well, when I googled it, apparently a lot of them use this term because there are thousands of posts about being red flagged.

That is a term that is used quit often in my experience in the last 16 years of pharmacy as well. As long as you are still able to get you prescription filled and you are not trying to fill it early I would not be too concerned. I will tell you it does help to use the same pharmacy as well. Thanks again for the question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is a horrible thing to think of being flagged when I’ve always done what I’m supposed to do is very disheartening.

I agree. Thanks for the question.