Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

Taking Lorezapam for 15 yrs. at 3 mg nightly to sleep. Doc…

Customer Question
Taking Lorezapam for 15...

Taking Lorezapam for 15 yrs. at 3 mg nightly to sleep. Doc gave me Levaquin for a sinus infection and crazy withdrawals started it's been 6 wks of withdrawals even though I'm still taking 3 mg per night. Research shows bad things to mix Levequin with Benzo. What should I Do about this. Literature says this combination could cause a withdrawal syndrome. Should I start a Lorezapam taper to get off???

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

It's been 6 wks. Dizzy headaches weakness sick feeling aniexty cant sleep. It messed up my whole system ad if I went off

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Connective tissue disorder

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
5/2/2018
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 2 months ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi! If I understand your question, you want to know if you should taper Lorazepam at this time because you are having withdrawal?

If it is ok with your doctor, you could certainly begin a taper of Lorazepam at this time. Do you have questions about how to taper?

I do. How much do I start reducing and do I need to go into a detox?

The precise rate of withdrawal is highly patient specific. It depends on many factors including the dose and type of benzodiazepine used, duration of use, personality, lifestyle, previous experience, specific vulnerabilities, and the (perhaps genetically determined) speed of your recovery systems.

A general rule is to reduce your dose by a small amount every 2 weeks. Start by taking 2 full tablets and 1 half tablet for 2 weeks. If you feel you can continue to reduce, then go down to 2 full tablets for 2 weeks, then 1 full tablet and 1 half tablet, then continue reduce by a half a tablet every 2 weeks unitl you are done. Please keep in mind the best judge is you, yourself; you must be in control and must proceed at the pace that is comfortable for you. You can go slower than every 2 weeks if you want. It could take several months to comfortably stop taking Lorazepam.

You do not need to go to a detox center unless you plan to stop taking the medication cold-turkey.

Does this help?

Hi! How are things going with the Lorazepam? I haven't heard back from you since my last reply:)