Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

Why do I read so much that this is not a good thing to do. I…

Customer Question
Why do I read so...
Why do I read so much that this is not a good thing to do. I am worried sick that I will have withdrawal symptoms. I missed three days of my celexa several years back and I felt horrible. I have had three horrible weeks with anxiety due to celexa no longer working, I can’t go through a withdrawal.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
3/30/2018
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi again:) I did reply to this on the other question, but we can continue here if you'd like. Here is my post:

I understand your concern. Withdrawal is not a pleasant feeling. It is acceptable to stop one drug and start the next, but it can also be done as you mentioned (weaning one drug while slowly starting the next drug). I collaborate with physicians and clinical psychologists in long term care where 80% of our patients are on antidepressants, so I have a lot experience with these drugs. Nearly any time an antidepressant is changed, we stop one and start the next and the patients do really well. In your case, because you are so sensitive to the effects, it would be completely acceptable to wean the Celexa while starting the Paxil. If it would ease your concerns to do it this way, by all means consider asking your physician to do it this way...no harm in that.

There are actually 4 clinically studied methods for switching antidepressants. Each has its own risks and benefits and should be selected based on patient specific factors. The method that you would like to use is called the cross-taper switch (reducing your current antidepressant while starting the new antidepressant at the same time) and it completely acceptable to use.