Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

What can you tell me about DMSO? I have osteoarthritis in my…

What can you tell...

What can you tell me about DMSO?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have osteoarthritis in my neck, back, wrists, knees and hips. I cannot take nsaids since I have had ulcers. Tylenol does nothing. Have had therapy, water aerobics etc. Nothing seems to help the pain and stiffness. Have had x-rays and all the usual tests.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Sulfa I am allergic to, I take blood pressure med and have for yrs., cranberry pills, Vitamin D3, Krill oil and Nexium. These were all approved by a doctor.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Unfortunately, I have had breast cancer which has been cured and shoulder surgery.

3/27/2018
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi! Are you looking into using DMSO to treat osteoarthritis?

If so, I would not recommend it. Current studies show that it is no more effective than placebo in controlling osteoarthritic pain. There are more effective topical treatments like Capsaicin cream and lidocaine cream (both of these are available over-the-counter).

Does this help? Please reply with further questions if you have them:)

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you.

You are welcome!

Hopefully, I have earned a five star rating today. Please take a moment to use the star scale. You can continue to reply even after providing a rating and I will be happy to answer any follow-up questions. Thank you!

Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist