Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I have hypothyroidism plus anxiety. I am on levothyroxine…

I have hypothyroidism plus...

I have hypothyroidism plus anxiety. I am on levothyroxine 1/2 of an 0.05mg a day. I have been on it since January of this year. Last week I started to have anxiety attacks. Can the low level of levothyroxine I am on be causing this.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No. I go on Wednesday for my 6 mos. check up. I am on thyroxine, 35 mg. nortriptyline, 1 1/2 mg lorazepam a day and 6 mos. ago got off a SSRI. Still having withdrawal from that.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Lorazepam, nortriptyline, propranolol, levothyroxine, 20 mg. atorvastatin and a vitamin D3 tablet 2,ooo units. Don't think I am allergic to any of this.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I am an anxious person.

3/25/2018
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

While levothyroxine can cause some irritability, it does not usually cause anxiety issues. Based on the information you have provided, I would attribute your anxiety attacks to the withdrawal from the SSRI as you mentioned. The nortriptyline should help with this, provided it is an adequate dose to compensate for the SSRI you were taking.

Depending on the frequency of the attacks, I would recommend increasing your nortriptyline and/or lorazepam, but this is definitely something you want to discuss during your 6 month checkup.

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for your answer. I go to a psychiatrist for the lorazepam and nortriptyline. I will ask him. I was on nortriptyline while He was trying to switch me to an ssri. I took the SSRI for about 7 weeks. It didn;t work so I kept on the nortriptylineat a lower dose than before. That was about 7mos. ago.

OK - Did he/she try you on any other SSRIs?

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was on 3 SSRI. Each for 2 wwks. Last one was citralapram. All lowest dose. Nortriptyline was taken down to 35 mg. from 50 mg. I had a blood test for the nortriptyline and he thought 35 mgs. was enough .

Thank you. The reason I ask is it is not uncommon for a patient to try 2-3 SSRI (and/or SRNI) medications before one is found that provides adequate benefit. Medications like nortriptyline (TCAs) are still often used as well for anxiety. All of these are very patient dependent (what works for one may not work for the next for no known reason). It usually takes a good bit of trial and error before finding the right one.

Do you feel the anxiety has gotten better with just the nortriptyline? If so, you will want to let him/her know this as well, as this may narrow down the group of drugs we want to stick with for helping treat your specific anxiety.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I like the nortriptyline. I just coudn't understand why the anxiety came back. Thank you very much for your input.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been having withdrawal on and off but thought it was almost over.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am 79 and not computer savy so excuse me if I'm not doing this right.

It will continue to improve. When you are in the midst of changing medications and trying to find the right one, it can prolong the process. But it will most certainly continue to improve. It seems that nortriptyline may have helped it more than the SSRIs, in which case your doctor may want to stick with a drug in that particular class (called TCA) instead of the SSRI.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much for your help I was hoping it wasn't the thyroid pill. You have relieved my mind. Thank you again.

You are very welcome.

If you would like to reach me in the future for other questions, you can contact me directly through JustAnswer via the link below.

https://www.justanswer.com/pharmacy/expert-drshaun/

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist