Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

My doctor prescribed Mucinex 600 mg for bad cold. Strength…

My doctor prescribed Mucinex...

My doctor prescribed Mucinex 600 mg for bad cold. Strength is 600 mg. Not told how long should be taken. Have taken one a day for 2 weeks. Feel better but still have some cough. No fever. Thankhou.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take 80 mg Valsartin daily.No allergies.

3/25/2018
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

If you are still having chest congestion, you can continue to take the Mucinex past 2 weeks. It is recommended to see a doctor if your symptoms do not get better as it could be more than just a cold (such as an infection that would require antibiotics).

Since you have already seen a doctor already and your symptoms have improved, you can either stop it or continue taking the Mucinex. It will continue to help the cough and break up any congestion and you can continue to take it until it is fully cleared up or until it is cleared up enough that you are comfortable without. If it is/was a chest cold with congestion or even a mild form of bronchitits, it can take 2-4 weeks (sometimes even longer) for the cough to fully be gone.

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist