Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I am having uterine and intestional bleeding with the

I am having uterine...

I am having uterine and intestional bleeding with the increase of 5 mgs of Citalopram. I am now on 15 mgs. I didn’t have it on 10 milligrams. Should I go back to ten mgs. My doc and I raised it because I was feeling shaken thinking the shakeyness might go away.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No. I take 25 mgs of trazadone, 25 mgs of Crestor and Citalopram along with various vitamins.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Have had various surgeries but no smoking, drugs, or alcohol.

3/24/2018
Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.

Hi this is Dr. Rollins I am a board certified licensed pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Sorry to hear about the bleeding you are experiencing. The bleeding is not related to the Citalopram dose increase. You will need to make a appointment with your physician or go to urgent care to have the bleeding diagnosed and treated.

I hope I have helped,and that I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by clicking on 5 stars at the top of the screen. Rating me now does not close your question. Thank you

I have read on the internet that SSRIs can cause uterine bleeding. Is this false?

Yes it is false.

Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Web MD indicates that Citalopram can result in uterine bleeding.
However, since I have cut back .25 of Citalopram, the bleeding has stopped.

I'm glad to hear your problem has stopped. Thanks again for the question. While Web MD can be a good resource it is often incorrect in regards ***** ***** effects with medications that have been shown in clinical trials.