Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I'm a regular user of hemp CBD oil to manage anxiety and…

Hello I'm a regular user...
Hello I'm a regular user of hemp CBD oil to manage anxiety and this works quite well for me. I was a bit distressed however upon reading some research that hemp CBD Oil Can suppress the immune system which is conserning.I would like to continue taking this product but do not want to use it if it could put me at unnecessary risk for infections and even cancers.I would like a pharmacist insight into this thank you
3/23/2018
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz
Hi, you are speaking with Dr Jonathan. CBD oil definitely will not cause cancer. It may slightly lower immune system, but not to be concerned about. One thing you can do to boost your immune system is take Echinacea. It's an herb that promotes immune function.
Thank you for your quick reply! If you could please help me understand your comment that hemp CBD oil would definitely not cause cancer. Is this something that has been well studied?
There is so much misinformation online its hard to get the results of good studies.
Totally understandable. Marijuana and hemp derivatives do not cause changes in cells. Especially since you take the oil, there is no carcinogenic effect. It merely activates receptors to calm you.
Thank you that's good to know. I guess I'm still looking to learn about its effect on the immune system because some information says it has a immunomodulatory effect which can be helpful and then some information says that it can suppress the immune system and potentially like someone risk. You mentioned that if suppression of the immune system does occur it is not of concerned. Why would that be? Thank you
There is a hypothetical effect on immune system with many herbs. For cbd oil, its never been systematically proven. I see many cancer patients, these patients cannot afford to have their immune system be weakened. But they are still prescribed marijuana and derivatives with no negative effects. In practice, there is no effect.
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz
What a relief! Thank you very much