Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I have accidentally combined two meds. 10mg ambient and 1 mg…

I have accidentally combined...

I have accidentally combined two meds. 10mg ambient and 1 mg Ativan. 160lbs female 47yo. Is this life threatening?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Anestrzole, a statin, and that’s it today. Only allergic to myacins.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just completed herceptin last September and chemo dec 2016 for triple positive stage one breast cancer. Herceptin was my immunotherapy medication. Last reconstructive surgery in October 2018

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/21/2018
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

No - this is not life-threatening. Worse case scenario you will likely experience a higher degree of the main side effects of both medications (drowsiness, dizziness, possibly even confusion). I would not do anything that requires you to be alert for at least the next 8 hours, but otherwise you will be fine. These medications are prescribed together sometimes, though as a general rule I would not recommend taking the Ativan at night if taking the Ambien when you need help sleeping (or not take the Ambien and only take the Ativan).

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live alone. I generally do not take the Ativan at all but accidentally took it thinking that it was my statin. I am safe in bed. I’ve called my pet sitter to check on me in the morning. I took the meds at 9pm. Will this cause me to sleep all day? Or for a particular amount of hours? I don’t want to get fired!And you say confusion...what do you mean by that, per se?

Primarily you will experience a good bit of drowsiness and/or dizziness for the next 4-6 hours. You should not have an issue with waking up by whatever means you normally use (it will help you sleep tonight, but will not make you sleep tomorrow). You may still feel some residual drowsiness tomorrow morning though so be mindful of that.

Confusion is a rarer but still possible side effect of both medications. They can make you feel disoriented (temporarily), short term memory issues, things of this nature (for example waking up and having that feeling of not knowing where you are for a moment, or walking in to a room and not knowing why you went in there type of feelings).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello?

Yes? Did you see my last reply?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the clarity.

You are welcome. If you have any other questions or need anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist