Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

My daughter is being treated for bipolar depression. the dr…

Customer Question
Hello, my daughter is...

Hello, my daughter is being treated for bipolar depression. the dr has prescribed 4 similar meds and i am curious if i should be concerned. Abilify, tegretol, risperdal, and latuda

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

She is only taking those 4 now.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This is the 4th episode she has had in 6 years, the doctor is the MD in the recovery facilities she is in

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi! Yes, there are some concerns you should have with this regimen.

Latuda and Tegretol should not be taken together. Tegretol can reduce the blood concentration of Latuda, rendering it ineffective.

Also, it would not be recommended to use 3 antipsychotic medications (Abilify, Risperdal and Latuda). There is no evidence that using more than one or two drugs in this class is any more effective, but with a serious risk of side effects.

Does this help? I am here for more questions if you have them:)

Hi! How is everything going with the bipolar medications? I haven't heard back from you since my I posted my answer to your question:)