Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I've been on Lexapro 5mg for a month. This morning I started…

I've been on Lexapro 5mg...
I've been on Lexapro 5mg for a month. This morning I started feeling a bit "high" .. Does it mean med started kicking in? I'm not anxious.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz

Hi, you are speaking with Dr Jonathan. When you say "high" do you mean drowsy, confused, hazy? Or do you mean high as in happy, elated, full of energy?

I feel a sort of elated, not happy or full of energy.

That definitely sounds like the Lexapro is starting to take effect. It is a good sign.

How long will I feel like that? not so comfortable. Will it disappear soon?
I started taking it when my brain was shut down due to stress. I fainted. It was a hard month for me. I hope it'll be a good sign.

Well any feeling of elation is a step in the right direction. Mood stabilization can take a few months. But the fact that you are feeling better, not worse, indicates that things are stabilizing.

As long as I know med started working. it's enough so far for me to know. I thought i had a side effect. Do you recommend me to increase dosage to 10mg or better for me to stay with 5mg. I'm old I don't like any toxic reaction to increase it.

I would recommend going up to 10mg according to the schedule your doctor set out for you. What you are having is not a side effect, but rather the medication doing what it should. 10mg is not anywhere near a toxic dose, it is actually the most common dose, and usually the lowest dose for maintenance.

Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz
OK I'll see a doc tomorrow. I'll ask her. Thank you for your help

My pleasure!