Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I have estradiol patches that I cannot use because they give…

I have estradiol patches that...
I have estradiol patches that I cannot use because they give me a rash. Do you know if any manufacturers have non-allergenic adhesives for estrogen patches? How do I dispose of my unused patches?
3/17/2018
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Hi there,
I would ask your local pharmacist to see if they can switch you to a different manufacturer.
Unused patches can be either returned to the pharmacy to safely discard or you can discard then to ensure kids or pets can't get to them.
Disposing medicines in household trash: Almost all medicines can be thrown into your household trash. These include prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs in pills, liquids, drops, patches, creams, and inhalers.Follow these steps:Remove the drugs from their original containers and mix them with something undesirable, such as used coffee grounds, dirt, or cat litter. This makes the medicine less appealing to children and pets and unrecognizable to someone who might intentionally go through the trash looking for drugs.
Put the mixture in something you can close (a re-sealable zipper storage bag, empty can, or other container) to prevent the drug from leaking or spilling out.
Throw the container in the garbage.
Scratch out all your personal information on the empty medicine packaging to protect your identity and privacy. Throw the packaging away.
I hope this fully addresses your question to your satisfaction! If you have no further questions, then please kindly rate my service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!
Also consider this: If you are on the weekly patch, the first step may be to use a patch; which is changed twice weekly so to decrease the amount of time the patch is on the skin.
Options to switch from one patch to another are Climara, Vivelle Dot, Alora, Minivelle, and Estraderm along with generic estradiol patches.
You will need to try a different patch to see if it works for you or not. It's a trial and error. Also use some Hydrocortisone cream before using the patch and be sure to remove the residue from the skin and rotate the site each time.
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
I had been on the twice a week patch and switched to this one . With either kind, I start to itch within an hour. I tried to stick it out though. am interested in trying the hydrocortisone solution. How does the medication get into the system with the hydrocortisone under it. I'm not questioning you. I'm just curious about how things work.
I would apply a thin layer of Hydrocortisone and even if it gets into your system, it will minuscule. Estrogen will still work normally.
It's the adhesive most people are allergic to. That's why it crucial to clean it off the skin as good as possible.