Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

The back of my tongue feels very swollen, the back of my…

The back of my tongue...
The back of my tongue feels very swollen, the back of my throat hurts as well but not as much as my throat. It is very painful to swallow. The pain woke me up at 6AM. I am a 34-year-old woman and have no known allergies. I took 2 Advil an hour ago and just took one Aleve, they appear to be reducing the tongue swelling but the back of my throat is still painful. Background: Three weeks ago I returned from a 10 day trip to Brazil (I was only in the cities of Rio and Sao Paulo). Two weeks ago I had flu-like symptoms (I had had a flu shot and Yellow Fever shot 6 weeks prior to this) and my partner had had the flu a week prior to this, I had a fever that hovered just under 101 for two days, body aches, chills. The severe symptoms lasted three days, the rest of the week was just lethargy. Last week, I experienced what I believe was severe TMJ in the left side of my jaw (this has only happened once 12 years ago). I had radiating severe pain (I could not sleep and over the counter pain killers were unaffective.) The pain lasted five days and would "move" radiating (what felt like nerve pain?) in my lower and then upper teeth but only on the left side of my face. (I went to the dentist 7 weeks ago for a cleaning and have no cavities) I had to call out of work and could only get a few minutes of sleep a night. The pain gradually reduced over the days. The final day before "feeling better" the pain was in my left jaw hinge, left temple, and left ear. It was one of the most excruciating things I've experienced in my life. The only relief for a few seconds at a time was drinking warm tea and numbing my face with ice packs to try to get a few minutes of sleep at a time. Until last night, I felt normal and very healthy again. I noticed I had a small amount of yellow sinus discharge this week but had no problems breathing. When I went to bed last night at midnight my throat was very slightly sore, and got much worse when it woke me up at 6AM.
I also took an Ambien (Zolpidiem Tartrate 100MG) last night to get to sleep (new prescription) and take Welbutrin XL (buPROPion Hydrochloride 300 mg) and Zoloft (Sertraline HCL 100MG) daily. The only thing I've ever had any sort of allergic reaction to in my life is immediate hives after my IV was being injected with Demerol after coming out of foot surgery in 2004.
3/15/2018
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz

Hi, you are speaking with Dr Jonathan. It doesn't sound like you are having a reaction to anything. Rather, you probably have residual inflammation from the dental procedure combined with recent flu-like symptoms. I would recommend 2 things. First, continue taking Advil. 600mg every 6 hours should be sufficient. Additionally, stir a tablespoon of table salt into a cup of warm (not hot) water. Gargle that a few times, and repeat that every 8 hours or so. This will help with the swelling/soreness. I think your symptoms should resolve in a few days.

All the dentist did was clean my teeth almost 2 months ago and take X-rays. I can't imagine that caused inflammation? I had no cavities so I had no injections or drilling. Just a routine cleaning
Does the flu cause total body inflammation? I'm wondering if it would have also triggered my TMJ jaw pain I haven't had in many years.

Oh I see. In that case it is residual from the flu or whatever infection you may have had. Yes, flu can cause inflammation in other areas of the body as well. I doubt it triggered the TMJ pain. If you take the Advil around the clock for the next 2 days, I think you will see improvement. Just be sure to take it with some food.

OK, got it. Thank you. One last question. The yellow sinus discharge seems to be lessening and getting better on it's own after the last two weeks. I didn't even notice it yesterday and can breathe fine through my nose. Is that the type of thing that usually resolves on it's own?

Yes it will resolve on its own. Especially since it's been slowly improving. Stay well hydrated as well, that will help.

OK, got it. I took two Advil at 7AM and 1 Aleve at 8AM, are they different types of anti-inflammatories?

They are slightly different, but there is no reason to take both. Also, Advil will work better for the type of inflammation you are having. I would stick with Advil.

That's perfect. Thank you so much! I was panicking a little before we spoke, but even while we've been talking my tongue no longer feels swollen and the back of my throught hurts less.
throat
Does Advil work better than Asprin for my case?

That's great to hear! Hopefully it stays that way. Yes, Advil will be better than Aspirin.

Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz
Perfect. You rock!

It's been a pleasure assisting you. Have a great day!