Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I took Prozac for 13 days and quit 6 days ago. Can I safely…

I took Prozac for...

I took Prozac for 13 days and quit 6 days ago. Can I safely take NyQuil for the insomnia that has set in? I also have ta***** *****prinosil daily for years.

Doctor's Assistant: What over-the-counter and prescription medications are you currently taking?

Liprinosil 10 mg with Hydrochlorothiazide 12mg daily, along with 81mg aspirin daily. Occasionally I have taken Acyclovir, but didn't take any today. I am bipolar and had a bad reaction to the prozac.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

The Liprinosil 10mg, Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5, and 81mg aspirin daily. I am allergic to flagyl.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I did drink 2-4 alcoholic drinks daily, but have not had any in three days and for the last month have only had one glass of wine a day, and not on every day. I did use marijuana daily, but have stopped that in the last few days. My recent blood tests were good. And as you can tell, I'm more paranoid from the prozac I was takng.

3/15/2018
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

I have reviewed your medications and allergies - Some NyQuil to help with the insomnia is fine. I would also recommend using plain Benadryl instead of NyQuil. The antihistamine and alcohol combination is NyQuil is what causes drowsiness. Benadryl is a similar antihistamine and will provide the same effect.

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist