Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

My friend took Lexapro this morning (10mg) and then again an…

My friend took Lexapro...

My friend took Lexapro this morning (10mg) and then again an hour ago 10 or 20 mg. Is that ok or should we call poison control or go to er?

Doctor's Assistant: How much Lexapro does your friend use? Any issues with side effects?

He’s prescribed 10mg once a day

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in their medical history you think the doctor should know?

Sleepy

3/15/2018
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

The maximum effective dose of Lexapro in a day is 20mg. Taking 20mg or even 30mg for someone who is prescribed 10mg is not dangerous. He may experience more of the side effects (drowsiness, sleeplessness, nausea), but will be fine. I recommend skipping the dose tomorrow morning and pick up tomorrow evening or the next morning and continue the normal dose at the preferred time after that.

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

Thank you. Just to confirm. This was taken in addition to 40mg of ziprasidone, his normal night time dosage.

Generally, ziprasidone and lexapro shouldn't be used together as there is a possible interaction with them. However the extra dose of lexapro will not make a difference.

Damn, shouldn’t his dr. know that? He is prescribed 10mg of escitalopram, 60mg of ziprasidone (20 morning, 40 night), and 20mg of vyvanse daily. Does that sound unwise?

Vyvanse and Lexapro does have an interaction (the Lexapro can enhance the effects, and therefore side effects of Vyvanse). It is not the best combination, but can and has been done without issue.

I would have him discuss the possible issues with all three, but especially the Lexapro and ziprasidone as this combination could lead to heart rhythm issues.

Thank you. Should we worry about it tonight (and take a trip to the hospital) or have him contact his doctor tomorrow? Final question. Thank you

I would have him contact his doctor tomorrow. He/she may determine that the combination is fine depending on his medical history, but it is definitely I would bring their attention to be certain.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist
Thank you.