Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I just went with someone that says he is tapering of term…

Customer Question
I just went with...

I just went with someone that says he is tapering of long term use of xanex I don't know what to do to help him

Doctor's Assistant: How long has he been taking Xanax? Any recent changes in dosage?

He said many years He is a college professor of psychology He says he is tapering himself off. really seems to be suffering I don't know how to help Is nutrition crucible?

Doctor's Assistant: How has he been sleeping? Any insomnia or other issues?

He says every day is different sometimes harder than others mornings are the most severe emotionally Will nutrition help

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in his medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Diverticulitis severe attack 4 years ago requiring a lengthly corse of antibiotics no surgery

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
3/13/2018
Pharmacist: Saqib, Pharmacist replied 4 months ago
Saqib
Saqib, Pharmacist

Hi, My name is***** have been helping my patients as a licensed pharmacist since last 14 years. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Xanax should be tapered off very slowly in this case and carefully over the period of several weeks, gradually decreasing the mg dose after every 1-2 weeks.

If the person tries to taper very fast, it may result in severe anxiety, insomnia, irritability, panic and other withdrawal symptoms. Taking a good, balanced nutrition with routine

mild exercise will be helpful.

Advise your friend to stay in touch with the doctor who prescribed Xanax and inform the physician about his intention to taper Xanax

so that if he gets into withdrawal symptoms, the doctor can handle the situation.

Please don't forget to rate my answer if you like it