Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I have the flu and woke up with a cold sore. I have a

Hi - I have the...
Hi - I have the flu and woke up with a cold sore. I have a prescription from the last time I got a cold sore. On the bottle it says to take 500mg once a day but I recall the Dr. telling me to take a higher dosage for a shorter amount of time like 3-days but I don't remember the details. Can you please advise? Thanks. I weight 140 lbs and I'm 5.6" if you require that info.
3/13/2018
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

Provided the medication you have been prescribed is valcyclovir (Valtrex), the typical dose for an active cold sore is 2 grams twice daily for a single day. If using the 500mg, that would be 4 tablets all at once in the morning, and then 4 tablets all at once in the evening.

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

Thank you Dr. Shaun! Using the 500mg, that would be 4 tablets all at once in the morning, and then 4 tablets all at once in the evening for 1 day only? Correct?

That is correct. A total of 8 tablets in one day.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist
Perfect. Thank you so much! Have a great day.