Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I know that chamomile tea has a chemical that binds to the…

I know that chamomile tea...
I know that chamomile tea has a chemical that binds to the same receptor sites that benzos bind to. If I have 1mg. of Ativan in me, is it dangerous to drink chamomile tea at the same time?
3/13/2018
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

It is perfectly safe to drink chamomile tea with Ativan. Yes, the chamomile exerts its calming effect by binding to the same receptors, but it does so in such a low quantity that it is not even recognized as an interaction with benzos.

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist