Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

Do you have an m.d. psych med prescriber available. I dont…

Do you have an...

Do you have an m.d. psych med prescriber available. I dont want a regular doctor

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I need a taper schedule from an m.d. Psyche doctor. Do you have one?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I need a m.d. not a psychiatric md not a thereapist

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am on Lexapro 20 mg not working. Xanax bad reaction. Valium 30mg for 4 months not working. Now given clonazepam with no taper schedule. I need help safely switching from valium to clonazepam.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
3/12/2018
Camille-Mod
I'm Camille and I'm a moderator for this topic. While I am not trying to discourage you from getting help from our Experts, I do want you to know that at this time we do not offer prescription service of any kind, nor can we offer Doctor's excuses or notes. Experts can not direct you to a specific Physician for any kind of treatment or services which includes requests for Doctors that can/will write certain medication prescriptions for you as this is handled on a case by case basis by the individual Physicians you may choose for your hands-on care.
Please let me know if you want to continue or cancel your question. I'm happy to further assist you.
Best,
Camille - Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Camille I'm not looking for a prescription I already have the prescription but they did not give me a taper so I do not know how to taper from my current medication to my new medication and I was hoping that a MD that specializes in mental health could give me a taper schedule not a prescription. Is this something you can do or you cannot do
Hi, thanks for clarifying, yes I will find someone to help you. Thanks for your patience :-)
Camille
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

The first thing is these two medications are in the same class, so we want to transition from the Valium to the Klonopin by decreasing your daily Valium as you add the Klonopin.

If you are taking 30mg of Valium, I assume this means 10mg three times a day. In this case, I would substitute one of these doses for 0.25mg to 0.5mg for 1-2 weeks. Then substitute another 10mg dose of Valium for another 0.25mg to 0.5mg of Klonopin for another 1-2 weeks, and then finally discontinue the Valium altogether and begin taking the full daily dose of Klonopin as prescribed.

Valium has active metabolites which take a while to completely clear your system, so I recommend decreasing one dose every 1-2 weeks and replacing with the lowest possible dose of Klonopin. This would take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to fully taper, but will minimize potential withdrawal symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The doctor said no taper and start at 6mg of klonopin. Did not sound right. The Valium is helping me zero....i am in full blown panic and anxiety all day
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it safe to mix these?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I take valium every 6 hours...same with adding klonopin

Anytime someone discontinues a drug in this class it should be tapered. However with a switch like this, it can be done by stopping one altogether and starting the new one, but 6mg of Klonopin will be stronger than 30 mg of Valium. And due to the long half-life of Valium and its metabolites (how long they stay in your system), I would recommend a taper. I do not disagree with your doctor, but would suggest slowly stopping the Valium and slowly adding the Klonopin.

Stopping the Valium out right and starting the Klonopin at this dose may be a bit much for you. At the same time you may tolerate just fine. I like to be cautious with patients when switching between benzos. It happens in order to find the best one for each patient (what works for one may not be the best for another).

In the end, 6mg of Klonopin seems like a big jump from 30mg of Valium to me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree, the valium is not working and making me ill so I am trying to find the safest, easiest way to come off. I have been on 4 months on 30mg about 2 or 3 months. So you suggest continuing 10mg twice a day and .50 to .75 once a day still every 6 hours? I am very medication sensitive and had a horrible reaction to xanax

I would start with 10mg for the first two doses, and switch the last 10mg dose to 0.5mg. After a week, provided you are tolerating the change OK, switch out your 2nd 10mg dose to another 0.5mg dose, etc.

It is very patient dependent. You honestly may do just fine stopping the Valium and starting the Klonopin. However if you are indeed medication sensitive, I would go with this taper. Going from 30mg of Valium to 1.5mg of Klonopin per day seems more reasonable. Then you can always increase the Klonopin dose until the right daily dosage is determined.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wont have seizures right? Thats my big fear? They ripped me off 17 years of zoloft which is why im in this horrible condition. Now I suffer from ocd, agoro, panic, anxiety, no appetite and terrified of meds. I just want some reassurance i wont have seizures and i shouldnt get weird feelings on clonazepam. I thought the xanax was gonna kill me alobg with zoloft withdrawals.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is clonazepam stronger than valium and easier on the body. I am a disaster on lexapro abd valium

Zoloft is in another class of drugs I never recommend stopping cold turkey. They should be tapered as well to prevent withdrawal. This kind of taper will not predispose you to an increase in seizure potential.

For longer term use, I recommend Klonopin over Valium. I think Valium is great for short term (such as prior to a procedure, life situations that are extenuating circumstances) but not as good as Klonopin for maintenance use. Xanax is also one I would recommend, but if you have tried it and you know it does not work, Klonopin would be my choice before Valium.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think I can try a one week taper 10mg valium am, 10mg afternoon and .50 clonazepam at night. If feeling ok 2nd week 10mg valium am adding .50 afternoon and night but if not feeling ok continue the first week taper for a second week. Then doing valium 10mg am, klonopin .50 afternoon and pm for a week. If feeling bad continue that for a 2nd week. If feeling good switch completely to klonopin. How will i know if im having withdrawals from valium since im already sick daily from either the valium or lexapro.

That is exactly what I would do.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How will i know if im having withdrawals from valium? If Im still having panic and and anxiety all day can I take .75 of klonopin

Withdrawal from any drug in this class are likely to cause agitation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, headaches, and possibly nausea. Doing a taper with two longer half life benzos like this should minimize withdrawal.

Just as a rough estimate (this varies from person to person), 30mg of Valium is about 2mg of Klonopin. I would try the 0.5mg first, but 0.75mg will not put you so far out of range that I would be concerned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
50 klonopin 3 times a day is less than 2mg...thats ok? Also still every 6 hours?

Yes, this would be OK. Because Valium has a longer half life, it will take time to clear. After switching over fully to Klonopin, you may need to increase the three 0.5mg doses, but that is where I would start.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Every 6 hours on klonopin is ok? You dont think I will have any weird reaction do you? I am very lethargic and no appetite, constant anxiety and panic on valium do you suspect it will improve on klonopin.

Yes, I think Klonopin in general works better for this type of situation than Valium. At every 6 hours, this would be 2mg and about the same as 30mg of Valium. 3-4 0.5mg of Klonopin per day would be fine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok i was told it had to be every 12 hours. I have had so much bad advice these last months on meds im terrified to take the klonopin. You think it will make me feel better? I had such a bad reaction to xanax you dont think it will happen with klonopin do you? My last dose of valium at night i finally get rest...is that what klonopin will do? Maybe help with feeling ill from the valium all day and help with being lethargic.

Klonopin is in the same class of medications as Valium and Xanax. Therefore there is a possibility that it effects you like Xanax, but based on how your body processes it, I think it will work more like Valium for you, but possibly work even better (again I like Klonopin for this type of scenario than Valium).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so I guess I should not be scared. I am though. It should put me to sleep like valium at night? I usually take my last dose of valium an hour before the lexapro. I think the only part i want to clarify is that initially i wont be meeting my 30mg of valium with just .50 of clonopin....thats ok?

Yes - that is fine, and even preferable. The Valium will take a while to completely be eliminated from your system, so the 0.5mg (while not the same as a 10mg dose) should be sufficient for the taper. Once you have switched, you can determine how well it is working for you.

It should help you sleep as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess maybe i will need less clonopin than the valium once i get thru the taper and that is the goal right? Anything I need to know or words of wisdom to help me with the fear of the klonopin. It wont hurt me right?

That is correct. No - if you have been taking Valium without issue, the Klonopin should be fine as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long for klonopin to work?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also i know it has a long half life like valium but how long does it work. Valium works maybe 2 hours

For most people, about 1-2 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I hope I do ok...if .50 doesnt work after a couple hours .25 is ok to add or if i start to panic. So scary

Yes that would be fine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Valium effects last a few hours how long do kponopin effects last

This too varies on the person. For most people, at least 4-8 hours (long enough for the next dose to start working).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since the valium doesnt work i take my valium in am and afternoon and will not get relief again until night im guessing since a taper is very important it sounds like correct. A taper is a must?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im guessing yes i have to taper, the klonopin needs to be the night dose or anytime of day?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just need to know if klonopin needs to be night dose
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Doc?

I would do it just as you stated earlier. Change the night dose of Valium to Klonopin first, then the afternoon dose, then the morning dose.

Good afternoon. I just wanted to followup to make sure you did not have any additional questions.

My goal is to provide a 5-Star experience for all customers. Please take a moment to rate your experience once you feel your question has been fully answered. Thank you.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist