Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

My doctor prescribed me duloxetine and sumatriptan. I took…

My doctor prescribed me duloxetine...
My doctor prescribed me duloxetine and sumatriptan. I took the duloxetine for two years and recently took my first sumatriptan when I felt a migraine coming. I was in an ambulance about 30 minutes later in very bad shape. I felt like I was going to die. Nobody could tell me what had happened. I recently discovered the “major” drug interactions between the meds and the symptoms list exactly what happened to me that day. I’m not sure what my question is... I’m just kind of pissed off and wondering what I should do. I’ve incurred a $12,000 bill over this. I guess I’m just lookin for a professional to tell me wether or not I’m correct in thinking that this is what happened to me. Also I’m trying to get off the duloxetine now and it’s hell. Zaps, sick, tired. Any tips for me?
3/12/2018
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi Brian,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. There is an interaction between Duloxetine and Sumatriptan. Using them together can cause serotonin syndrome. It is a level 3 interaction...this means we can use them together safely, but advise the patient to monitor for signs/symptoms of serotonin syndrome when using them together. Is this what happened to you when you took the Sumitriptan?

Are you already tapering the Duloxetine?

those are the symptoms I had. I wasn’t warned about it. I’m down to half dose 30mg of the duloxetine. If I keep it up like that I feel ok but anything less and I get pretty messed up.
Also the ER doc had both meds in his hand and popped another sumatriptan out for me to take.

You may consider talking with a lawyer about your case. You could have a legal case against the physician who prescribed these medicines without letting you know about the side effects.

Some people do complain about withdrawal effects when coming off antidepressants. The best way to do it is to go as slow as possible. How long have you been on the 30 mg dose now?

A few weeks now. I was able to get to 30mg pretty fast. I guess I just need to take it slower the rest of the way.

I would recommend staying on the 30 mg for at least 3-4 weeks. Then try going to 30 mg every other day for another 3-4 weeks. See how you feel at that time and you could then go even lower like 30 mg every 2 days for another 3-4 weeks then just stop taking it. Some people are very sensitive to the effects of medicines and the slower and lower the taper the better.

Does this help?

Yeh ok. I’ll try that. Easier than trying to count the pellets.

Ok, great! Yes, definitely easier than counting those tiny beads.

I will be here if you think of any follow-up questions.

Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist