Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I have been on valium up to 30mg 4 months. Now I have been…

I have been on...

I have been on valium up to 30mg 4 months. Now I have been given klonopin. One doctor said stop valium and start 6mg klonopin next day. The other doctor said cut my valium by 20mg for 3 days then start .50 klonopin once a day. Im not a doctor but this sounds wrong. I need a proper taper or protocol switch to clonopin.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

30mg valium

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

20mg lexapro

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/11/2018
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Hi there
Since they are both from the same family and Long acting, the switch should get pretty smooth. I would go with the second doc's recommendation. Klonopin 6mg is a very high dose to begin with. 0.5 is a reasonable start
Do I need to taper or I can just switch?
You can simply switch, however if you feel any uneasy feelings from stopping Valium, then perhaps taper it down. It is very unlikely as you have been taking it just for 4 months.
How many doses of .5 a day would I take per day to avoid seizure or withdrawal from valium? If I want to taper can you suggest one. I have been getting bad advice which is why im sick now.
1mg clonazepam = 20mg of valium
Klonopin is usually 0.5 mg twice a day. So that should replace 20mg of Valium per day. That is how you can taper every 3 days, then stop Valium and continue Klonopin
either I can stop valium and begin .5 klonopin 3 times a day. Or I can take .5 klonopin twice a day and 10 mg valium once a day for 3 days?
Exactly :)
I hope this fully addresses your question to your satisfaction! If you have no further questions, then please kindly rate my service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!
Which is usually easier on people? Also wouldnt my dose need to be .5 4 times a day to equal 30mg of valium. Terrified of seizures
Klonopin is used much more frequently than Valium. Rest assured, you will be just fine. Klonopin will help you just as much if not more than Valium
You won't need Klonopin more than twice a day due to its long life in body
Are you using them for seizures?
the big vaiance in dose 1 mg of klonopin from 30mg of valium no withdrawals and no seizures
Oh because Klonopin much more potent than Valium. Klonopin 0.5mg will give you the same effect as Valium 10mg would. It is not 1 to 1 conversion
No I was ripped off zoloft cold turkey after 17 years and now have constant panic attacks, lethargic. agorophobic, etc. Lexapro not working, Valium not working. I got so sick from zoloft withdrawals im terrified of this switch because valium is making me sick too. Which is going to be easier on me...direct switch or taper. Will I feel weird or anything?
Oh that makes perfect sense. Zoloft should have been tapered very slowly.
I suggest going with the 3 day taper while on Klonopin.
You will like klonopin. It is better in controlling anxiety than others
5 klonopin, .5 klonopin and 10mg valium for 3 days? Then day 4 .5 klonopin 3 times a day. I got Clonazepam not klonopin...same thing right? You think taper is easier on people? 30mg valium not controlling anxiety at all.
I agree with that plan. Taper is usually individualized to how your body reacts. It should never be cold turkey stop unless another drug from the same family is replacing the current one. But since you are sensitive to the switch, taper will be useful in your case
Clonazepam is another name for klonopin
Ok so either way is fine. Whichever I can get my self to do taper or direct switch. Do you have a preference for people to feel no effects? Its ok to take valium and klonopin on the same day?
Either is fine. Whatever makes the switch smoother.
Ok and you think i will feel better on klonopin not so lethargic? It wont make me feel weird right?
No it won't. It works really well. Just hang in there
Oh and which way is your preference?
Taper
Ok last question i take valium every 6 hours same with klonopin?
Oh no. Klonopin is 1 to 3 times a day. You probably won't need it more than every 12 hours
Oh ok how will i know if im having valium withdrawals
Uneasiness, still feeling anxious. But again Klonopin will help with that.
Just a friendly reminder to please kindly rate my service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen. We only get credit for helping if you rate us :)
Ok so your sure .5 3 times a day i wont have seizures from withdrawals and if i have uneasiness take a bit more klonopin?
absolutely. Just give it a try. You will be pleasantly surprised
Try it from tonight and let me know if still have any questions
Taking at bedtime will help you rest too
Oh and ask your doc to put you back on Zoloft. Why switch if it was helping
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Thank you so much Im still scared to take it
The taper is only 3 days right
You will be just fine. Take Klonopin tonight, and take Valium from tomorrow to taper if needed. If you feel fine, don't take Valium. I will be here to answer any further questions you have. Take one day at a time...I know it's easier said than done.