Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I am taking Modifinil for fatigue 100mg. I have a history of…

Customer Question
I am taking Modifinil...

I am taking Modifinil for fatigue 100mg. I have a history of depression and dry eyes. I've noticed since I've been taking it my eyes are really dry and stingy. I don't know if I can stay on it. Plus I'm not sure it's helping my depression although at first it seemed like it did. What do you suggest? Do I have to ease off of it or just stop taking it?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

My psychiatrist wants me to keep using it for a month but she doesn't know that it's causing my eyes to feel really dry. My eye doctor says to keep using eye drops and then it's possible I may have to resort to some other medication if it's making my eyes worse

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just that I have a history of severe depression and we've tried all different types of medications to help me and nothing seems to work

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
I have a autoimmune disorder, Sjogren's syndrome
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/11/2018
Pharmacist: Drugdad, Pharmacist replied 5 months ago
Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist

Hi, thanks for the question. Modafinil is usually well tolerated, it effects on depression is very minimal. As for dry eyes, you can continue with the artificial tears and talk to your eye doctor. Dry eye is not a common side effect of Modafinil.

Another option you can discuss with your doctor is to try Nuvigil. It is closely similar to Modafinil.

Did not answer all my questions like can I go off Modafinil or do I gradually have to ease of it. Not happy with his response.

Yes. Since you are on 100mg a day, there might be no need to lowering the dose further. Both definitely talk to your doctor before stopping it.

I have looked online and it says it does cause dryness to the eyes