Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I seem to have some sort of viral infection. Cold with

Customer Question
Hi! I seem to...

Hi! I seem to have some sort of viral infection. Cold with slight fever and swollen glands. I am on 20mg of lexapro and wasn’t sure what OTC medicine I could take

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I only take the lexapro daily

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am allergic to pennacilin

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pharmacy
3/9/2018
Pharmacist: Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist replied 1 month ago
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

The only over-the-counter cold/flu prep medication I would avoid due to the Lexapro is dextromethorphan (this is the ingredient in any medication that helps cough). If a product says anything about cough, or has DM in the name, it likely has this medication that you want to avoid.

Based on your symptoms you mentioned, it sounds like it could be either a mild viral infection or bacterial infection. I recommend taking OTC Motrin (ibuprofen) and Benadryl (diphenhydramine). The ibuprofen will help with the fever and swollen glands, while the diphenhydramine may help with swollen glands some, but also to help you rest.

If the fever gets worse or you are not feeling better within 3 days, you may want to visit your doctor or an urgent care clinic. A viral infection will usually go away on its own, but if it is bacterial it may require an antibiotic.

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

Good morning. I hope you are feeling better. I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could help you with.

My goal is to earn a 5 star rating with every customer.

Good morning. I hope you are feeling better. Did you need any other information regarding your question? My goal is to offer 5-star service to all customers. Please let me know what else I can do to help you, and when you have a moment please rate your experience.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist