Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

Can extreme high doses of Vitamin C be harmful?

can extreme high doses of Vitamin C be harmful?
3/9/2018
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience. Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin that your body eliminates (for the most part) any more than what it actually needs. There is a possibility of too much vitamin C causing kidney stones, but the risk of this is very low even with higher doses.

The most recent studies indicate 200mg as the optimal daily dose to receive the benefits. Anything more is just a waste (but will not do any harm).

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist