Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I was wondering if you could tell me the difference in the…

Customer Question
Hi! I was wondering...

Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me the difference in the half- life of Adderall vs Adderal XR

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am on Adderall XR 20 mg and it works well, but I find that I am wide awake until around 2:30 a.m. I was wondering if I should be on Adderall instead I am seeing my doctor today and wanted to discuss the different possibilities with her

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take Synthroid, Hyzaar, Adderall XR and Amlodipine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have post-concussion syndrome and have had a pituitary macroadenoma removed - all of my medications are in relation to this. Prior to the two concussions in an 8 hour period, I was not on any medications

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pharmacy
3/7/2018
Pharmacist: Saqib, Pharmacist replied 1 month ago
Saqib
Saqib, Pharmacist

Hi, My name is***** have been helping my patients as a licensed pharmacist since last 14 years. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Hi. There is a little difference. Adderall has a mean half life of 11 hours as compared to Adderall Xr with a half life of 13 hours but still it is significant.

Other strategy is that you take Adderall XR early in the morning like 7 AM

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought the half-life of Adderall XR was about 10 hours for an adult.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I usually try not to take it after 9 a.m., because I know I will be up all night. Do you think it would be better for me to take 10 mg of Adderall twice a day?

No that will not be a good idea to take Adderall 10 twice daily because of its comparable profile to Adderall XR. In my opinion the best way

will be to take it at 7 AM if its possible for you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I take it at 7 a.m. I am awake until around midnight.

Then try some sleep aid like Melatonin 5 mg one hour before your planned sleep time

Alternatively try Diphenhydarmine (Benadryl) caplet 25-50 mg one hour before sleep

Saqib
Saqib
Saqib, Pharmacist